PC Omnijig

BillyJack

On 2/12/2023 at 8:17 AM, BillyJack said:

“Look better” How?

How does it “Look better” than a perfectly machined dovetail?

Have you ever heard the saying, (different strokes for different folks) or ( there's more than one way to skin a cat) or (the beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Not everything is a controversy bro.

20 hours ago, BillyJack said:

How does it “Look better” than a perfectly machined dovetail?

Handcut dovetails allow for much smaller thinner pins providing a more delicate hand made look. You can do different sizes easily and spacing is what ever you want. I've done skip pins with router DTs and it's a pain easier to handcut.

Handcut

DSC_6445-01.thumb.jpeg.426fff66be5f608a2c8c47ab8d7bda83.jpeg

Machine

0501212000_HDR-02.thumb.jpeg.8cb717297844dfe2236addd60daf13b1.jpeg

Machine skip method. Still has the really clunky pin look.

4597839488946163909.jpg.7ba5621c9e11cec4b8da7264774e90c1.thumb.jpg.59336b0c79a5513073b8079393a279f2.jpg

There are other drawback to the jigs. Being set on board width sucks often espically when making inset drawers in a dresser. Also i found it was difficult with a lot of woods to control tear out.

My final comment is that hand cut aesthetics are found to be more pleasing by a larger number of people.

• Like 1

It’s still your opinion and has nothing to do with the topic.

Nothing says it is better.. 

So the topic has no value to me. Wasted space and time.

. Don't use  it much as hand cut is faster for 2-3 drawers and looks better.”

Beauty of an opinion, it’s not fact..

You can delete your previous posts but you specifically asked for my opinion. I'm not sure if you are intending to be abrasive and argumentative but it's coming across that way. I don't believe you are, so I'll answer your question.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.80262b3db46e61f67d13910b2f232ac2.jpg

Secondly the topic is relevant to your initial question, which you apparently deleted, as well as the jig is a bear to use regardless if it's set up. There are also constraints you have to live within. Because of the constraints and difficulty i have a similar jig i keep setup and stored. I don't use it often as a result of it's difficulty. The 4200 jig is even easier and faster to use than the omni jig but doesn't have as many bells and whistles. My honest answer is the jigs don't have much value for low unit production as it's faster to just hand cut dovetails than to try and setup the jig.

If your asking production cabinet making questions on a hobbyist mostly furniture making forum your not going to like any of the answers you get.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:18 AM, Chestnut said:

You can delete your previous posts but you specifically asked for my opinion. I'm not sure if you are intending to be abrasive and argumentative but it's coming across that way. I don't believe you are, so I'll answer your question.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.80262b3db46e61f67d13910b2f232ac2.jpg

Secondly the topic is relevant to your initial question, which you apparently deleted, as well as the jig is a bear to use regardless if it's set up. There are also constraints you have to live within. Because of the constraints and difficulty i have a similar jig i keep setup and stored. I don't use it often as a result of it's difficulty. The 4200 jig is even easier and faster to use than the omni jig but doesn't have as many bells and whistles. My honest answer is the jigs don't have much value for low unit production as it's faster to just hand cut dovetails than to try and setup the jig.

If your asking production cabinet making questions on a hobbyist mostly furniture making forum your not going to like any of the answers you get.

Again nothing to do with mounting a Omnijig..

Send it to off topic..

On 2/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, Chestnut said:

Oh you want to know how to mount it to a table? Why didn't you put that in your original post? drill some holes and use machine bolts? Spax makes some structural screws with large washer heads that are 1/4" size and maybe 1.25" long those could be a good option.

I did have that in the original post, but you chose to PIMP  your dovetails..

I asked you to prove it was better and faster than machined and you did neither..

Opinion vs  fact..

IMHO I like Drew's hand cut dovetails better than the machined ones! Thanks for pimping your hand cut DT's and explaining your thoughts on why you prefer one over the other, and why the set up time of the jig makes hand cutting the DT's easier for your work flow. Because that's what I got from your original post Drew. See no controversy Just one persons opinion, and not trying to sway anyone else's opinion. 

On 2/13/2023 at 11:59 AM, Dave H said:

IMHO I like Drew's hand cut dovetails better than the machined ones! Thanks for pimping your hand cut DT's and explaining your thoughts on why you prefer one over the other, and why the set up time of the jig makes hand cutting the DT's easier for your work flow. Because that's what I got from your original post Drew. See no controversy Just one persons opinion, and not trying to sway anyone else's opinion. 

Chestnuts Dovetails are nice, but have nothing to do with the topic.

Starting to understand what Jim Becker was talking about

12 minutes ago, Dave H said:

I don't think there is controversy just a misunderstanding. My understanding from the original post was "is it worth it to have an omni jig permanently setup?" I didn't realize it the op was seeking advice on how to permanently mount it to a table. I was just trying to say for one off production even having my 4200 jig set up and ready to go it's still a pita to use. I tried to ignore any inferred tone as it probably wasn't there.

Misunderstanding 100%. somebody didn’t read the topic..

”I have the 4200 but i change the setup from DTs to box joints and back. Don't use it much as hand cut is faster for 2-3 drawers and looks better.“

Y’all can keep posting. I don’t find any value in the posts anymore..