Stainless roofing nails

BillyJack

• 1 month later...

What is your roof sheathing?  Ring shank works good in wood that going to shrink, but not so great in plywood, or really dried out wood that's been on a roof for a long time.

I know testing of new materials shows a higher withdrawn strength, but having taken lots of buildings apart, the increased strength just doesn't hold up over time.   Old ring shank nails towards the end of roofing life can almost be pulled out just with fingers.  

My theory is the rings deform wood fibers going in, which doesn't matter until those wood fibers get cooked over several decades.

I'd have to see testing of some 25 year old roofs.

On 7/24/2023 at 2:10 PM, Tom King said:

What is your roof sheathing?  Ring shank works good in wood that going to shrink, but not so great in plywood, or really dried out wood that's been on a roof for a long time.

I know testing of new materials shows a higher withdrawn strength, but having taken lots of buildings apart, the increased strength just doesn't hold up over time.   Old ring shank nails towards the end of roofing life can almost be pulled out just with fingers.  

My theory is the rings deform wood fibers going in, which doesn't matter until those wood fibers get cooked over several decades.

I'd have to see testing of some 25 year old roofs.

This roof will get ring shank.I’ve had to knock too many smooth nails  down over the years. When those nails pop up, they wear into the shingle above and cause leaks.

I’m using ring shank for the same reason you use cleated Powernails on my hardwoods. 

A guy on Woodnet  was putting in his 3/4 maple floor in the same time I was putting in my 3/4 oak floor. He said he had several sleeks after a few months. Using the Powernailer, my floor still doesn’t squeak and it’s been in since 2005

Ring shank don’t back out. Also why the6 use them on wood fencing..

That makes sense.  They aren't subject to walking out by temperature changes.  I was just thinking about how easy they pull out after decades.  Here bulkheads on the lake are built from dripping wet treated wood and big ring shank nails.  You can't pull that stuff apart when it needs replacing because the wood has shrunk around the nails.  It is either cut up, or pulled up with an excavator.

And, I am saying that is a waste of your money. That’s based on real world experience, on thousands of roofs. If you feel you need that, it is a decking issue and not a nail issue. I cannot stop you spending money, I just don’t want anyone making you think you need that level of product. 

• Like 1