HVLP Question

TomInNC

I am going to be painting quite a few cabinets over the course of the next year, so I have decided to finally get an HVLP sprayer. Since everyone seems to rave about them, I have been leaning towards the Fuji line. I am confused at this point, however, about which of their sprayers would be best for me. While I will be painting a lot of cabinets in the near term, I don't anticipate painting all that much in the future, so the HVLP would be used primarily for applying finish. I asked the folks at Fuji, and they recommended the 4 or 5 stage sprayers for the cabinet paint. The rep also said, however, that I would likely want to use a much lower PSI for spraying finish (the rep specifically said the 2 stage sprayers are best for finish spray). The Q5 platinum is the only one of their guns with a adjustable output. It is also naturally the most expensive. So if I take Fuji at their word, I can either (1) get the Q5 and use it for both paint and finish or (2) get two different (and cheaper) guns, one for paint at higher PSI, one for finish at lower PSI. I'd love to hear thoughts from those of you that have used HVLP to spray paint and finish which of these options makes the most sense. 

I can provide this feedback, while I find my Mini Mite 3 great for spraying lacquer and water based poly it was under powered for latex paint. I sprayed all the trim, doors, etc in my basement and it worked but I would go with the Platinum Q5 for latex paint. Having said that its twice as much...

On 8/2/2023 at 8:49 PM, pkinneb said:

I can provide this feedback, while I find my Mini Mite 3 great for spraying lacquer and water based poly it was under powered for latex paint. I sprayed all the trim, doors, etc in my basement and it worked but I would go with the Platinum Q5 for latex paint. Having said that its twice as much...

+1

Honestly I'd consider airless (new or used) for the cabinets and then sell it when your done. I bought a Graco x5 new and sold it for 75% of new cost in an hour. Renting for the time I had it was almost the cost of a new unit. HVLP is great and all for finishes but not so great for thick paints. I painted some exterior doors with an airless when i did the outside of our house. Finish quality was great.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 7:43 PM, TomInNC said:

I am going to be painting quite a few cabinets over the course of the next year, so I have decided to finally get an HVLP sprayer. Since everyone seems to rave about them, I have been leaning towards the Fuji line. I am confused at this point, however, about which of their sprayers would be best for me. While I will be painting a lot of cabinets in the near term, I don't anticipate painting all that much in the future, so the HVLP would be used primarily for applying finish. I asked the folks at Fuji, and they recommended the 4 or 5 stage sprayers for the cabinet paint. The rep also said, however, that I would likely want to use a much lower PSI for spraying finish (the rep specifically said the 2 stage sprayers are best for finish spray). The Q5 platinum is the only one of their guns with a adjustable output. It is also naturally the most expensive. So if I take Fuji at their word, I can either (1) get the Q5 and use it for both paint and finish or (2) get two different (and cheaper) guns, one for paint at higher PSI, one for finish at lower PSI. I'd love to hear thoughts from those of you that have used HVLP to spray paint and finish which of these options makes the most sense. 

What’s your compressor?