Finish Cabinets Before or After Drawer Hardware Installation

TomInNC

It seems like in most cabinet build videos, people install the drawer and door hardware first, remove it, and then apply finish. Is there an advantage to installing the hardware before finish as opposed to installing the hardware after finish? I just wrapped up making some carcasses and was going to apply my finish (paint plus a top coat) before the installing the drawer slides, but I'm starting to think that I should install the slides first. 

The benefit to installing before finish is that if you make marks or reference lines you have the chance to sand them off prior to finish after any holes or screws are drilled.

I'd say finish then install. If you need to make reference marks painters tape is your friend. I'm always too lazy to remove hardware so i just finish around it.

One exception is cabinet door hing hardware. For euro cup hinges I like to drill the holes before finishing. I use a drill press for the cup and don't want to have to worry about the finish getting damaged by the drill press. Most other hardware is inside the case so if there is a small scratch it's inside the case.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 9:28 AM, Chestnut said:

The benefit to installing before finish is that if you make marks or reference lines you have the chance to sand them off prior to finish after any holes or screws are drilled.

I'd say finish then install. If you need to make reference marks painters tape is your friend. I'm always too lazy to remove hardware so i just finish around it.

One exception is cabinet door hing hardware. For euro cup hinges I like to drill the holes before finishing. I use a drill press for the cup and don't want to have to worry about the finish getting damaged by the drill press. Most other hardware is inside the case so if there is a small scratch it's inside the case.

Thanks. I was also thinking that if you're installing and uninstalling the hardware you're just increasing the risk of stripping out screws and all that fun stuff. 

On 10/13/2023 at 8:06 AM, TomInNC said:

It seems like in most cabinet build videos, people install the drawer and door hardware first, remove it, and then apply finish. Is there an advantage to installing the hardware before finish as opposed to installing the hardware after finish? I just wrapped up making some carcasses and was going to apply my finish (paint plus a top coat) before the installing the drawer slides, but I'm starting to think that I should install the slides first. 

We like to know it fits before we finish. W3 also like everything drilled as well. I couldn’t tell you how many times it didn’t fit after it was  finished first or drill for hardware was  wrong After it’s been installed..

• Like 1

I never took anything apart to finish.  I did make a test drawer if it had been a while since I'd used Blum undermount slides, but after the test, all the rest were made and finished before installing the slides.  Doors got hinge holes before finish, but pulls or handles always had their handle holes drilled after the cabinets were in place.  My cabinets were always installed in the house I was building them in.  I set up one room as a spray room.  Doors were hung from the hinge holes so they could be sprayed all around.  They went from hanging after being sprayed to being installed on the cabinets in place. No extra steps for anything.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, TomInNC said:

For some reason I just never invested in a decent handheld drill.

2 hand drills add efficiency. Frequently I go back and forth to drilling then screwing. Also get hand held battery tools the same brand so you buy the same batteries and one charger. And buy extra batteries at xmas time. best sale price of the year. Shelf life is unlimited. My favorite brand is Makita.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:28 PM, curlyoak said:

2 hand drills add efficiency. Frequently I go back and forth to drilling then screwing. Also get hand held battery tools the same brand so you buy the same batteries and one charger. And buy extra batteries at xmas time. best sale price of the year. Shelf life is unlimited. My favorite brand is Makita.

Why I buy flip bits..

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2