Something more expansive than standard V-type weather stripping? (Metal door curling in the sun)

Von

I notice that during the peak of the day, the sun hits the metal person-door to my garage/shop full on, which seemingly causes the outside skin of the door to expand and the whole door to curl in at the top. Since it's an inward opening door, there is no jam to stop it and it curls enough I end up with about a 1/8" gap between the door and the weatherstripping (see first photo). This happens by late morning and by early afternoon the angle of the sun has changed enough the gap goes away (second photo), only to come back the next day.

I already have the V-type weather stripping installed, but it's not expanding enough to keep the gap closed mid-day. I hesitate to hard shim under the weatherstripping because of the dynamic nature of the gap and fear of making the door hard to close at other times - it really is snug when it isn't being hit by the sun.

Anyone know of some more expansive weather stripping that might keep up with this curling? Or any other suggestions?

TIA, Von

Door at 11am.

PXL_20231012_144106060.thumb.jpg.e0eea6c42e56f6bc2881c032e30767a6.jpg

Door two hours later. Little gap that remains will be gone in another hour.

PXL_20231012_171344178.thumb.jpg.9b7882ac9493e3c02298f92c9938e95b.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 6:45 AM, wtnhighlander said:

If the sun causes that much change, maybe an awning would have more effect than different weatherstrip! :o

It's already got a 2-3 foot eave covering it, so it would have to be a big awning! This photo was from 11am, at peak gap.

PXL_20231012_144604115.jpg

• Like 1

Time for a new door blank? That makes it seem like something is wrong with the door.

Otherwise get weather stripping that goes along the edge of the door not the face. If the door moves the weather stripping will still make contact but won't have to have a huge compressible range. Wouldn't the metal stuff work for this?

• Like 1

If that is a steel skin, they make magnetic seals. You’d have to go to a builder supply and dig through a catalogue to see which might help. I tend to agree that the slab has tension in it and should be evaluated. Most have polyurethane foam and glue under the skin, that should allow it the ability to expand and contract without tugging on the under frame. 

• Like 1

I've been percolating on this one for a while.  First, measure the door before and after the dimensional change.  I would want to be sure it is the door and not some surrounding frame member that is causing the change.  That is a lot of movement for a proper door.  I think Tpt life has the best answer you may find.  A magnetic seal thin enough to fit the narrow gap that would be drawn to the door as the gap widens.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

First, sorry to @Chestnut, @Tpt life, and @gee-dub - somehow I missed notification of your replies and am just seeing them now. Didn't mean to ignore you.

What I have done is found some deeper weather stripping and installed it. Couple photos below. Seems to clearly get me the ~3/16" I need to keep things sealed, but the door is definitely a little harder to close, not too bad for me, but wife still on the fence as to it being acceptable. If this doesn't work, I'll look for something magnetic. Per gee-dub, I'll also do some measuring next time I see the issue to confirm it's the door and not the something else.

PXL_20231117_201214551.thumb.jpg.bccca9556c8134da9f35482fc3ffaa43.jpg

New above, old below. Some parallax in photo exaggerating the depth of new stripping.

PXL_20231117_201533184.thumb.jpg.ed56a386f47edcfa66f327ec771c9e92.jpg

New above, old below.

To gee-dub's question, I put a level on the door this morning and again just now. The door is definitely cupping during the day and flat at night. I couldn't find anything amiss with the framing or anything else.

What I did do today was to put back the original weatherstripping back on the hinge side. It occurred to me that I don't think I've ever seen a gap on that side, presumably because the hinges are keeping the door flatter. Door closes much easier with the original weatherstripping back on that side. Things looked good today, if still so tomorrow, I'm going to call it good enough.

I would put up a tarp or something to block the sun for a day and see if it still warps. Easiest fix might be to plant a tree or bush a little ways out to block the sun.

This is on the inside corner of an el in the house with a driveway and front patio in play. Really no good place for a tree.

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2024 at 8:19 AM, Tom King said:

Might be worth painting the door white.

Non-starter aesthetically without painting the whole house. As part of '22 remodel we did repaint from white to the current grey/green. Unexpected consequence...

• Like 1