Planing Resaw Strips

roughsawn

I'm building a plaque stand for my wife, out of some wood I have no idea what it is...lol

I'm wrapping it in 1/4" thick walnut pieces that I resawed off of a block of walnut. 4" tall. Can I run the 1/4" thick pieces thru my planer, or are they too thin to safely do so? I do not have a drum sander.

If it's not safe to clean up on the planer, what are my other options to finish up the 1/4" strips before gluing to the block I'm using as the base for the plaque?

@roughsawn - I run 1/4" material through my Grizzly G0453Z with a spiral head without issue.  For thinner I will double tape to an MDF carrier.  The full support of this "sled" seems to make things go smoothly.  As to sanding, I would assume your project will get some attention before finishing.  I never finish anything right off the machine except shop fixtures.  For figured material that I don't want to hand plane a couple swipes with a hard sanding block of 150 followed by 220 generally gets any machine marks and prepares the material for whatever surface prep the rest of the project will get.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I routinely use a planer sled with a cleat at the end to plane big slabs of rough sawn lumber. Honestly, I didn't think about a sled for thin panels/strips. I'll whip together a sled for them, to run thru the planer. Guess I'll tape them down to prevent movement. Or, maybe try a thin cleat first, on a test piece. I resawed a couple extras, anyway.

Nice to be able to lean on you guys for help!;) 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 10:31 AM, pkinneb said:

I wouldn't want to go much thinner than that without support...I think I would make a quick sled just a piece of plywood with a cleat at one end. I use these often at the drum sander and planer.

here is an example

U2.jpg.e94e547e0be1e67fb911e0a1bf8a4bdf.jpg

Thanks for the picture. THAT is a thin cleat at the end...lol

• Haha 1