Shaker Bookcase

legenddc

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole design and the scale but the legs look way too chunky for my eyes. 1.5" would be my max on those, i much prefer 1.25" square but that's hard to stomach sometimes. Additionally you could make the legs rectangles and get a lighter front appearance and then the side looks a bit more beefy. 1.25" front face with 2" side.

I really like the design. Are you goign to have cross grain rails on the top and bottom?

Per racking I'm not sure the fixed shelf will help with that but it will help prevent the sides from bowing out under the weight of books. I'd try and put the fixed shelf in the middle somewhere.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:58 AM, Chestnut said:

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole design and the scale but the legs look way too chunky for my eyes. 1.5" would be my max on those, i much prefer 1.25" square but that's hard to stomach sometimes. Additionally you could make the legs rectangles and get a lighter front appearance and then the side looks a bit more beefy. 1.25" front face with 2" side.

I really like the design. Are you goign to have cross grain rails on the top and bottom?

Per racking I'm not sure the fixed shelf will help with that but it will help prevent the sides from bowing out under the weight of books. I'd try and put the fixed shelf in the middle somewhere.

I'm not 100% on the scale either and I think it's why I'm so slow moving with this project. I looked at the dimensions of our dressers and decided the leg thickness was okay but I just measured and realized the legs are rectangular with the skinnier side on the side of the dresser. Never realized until now.image.thumb.jpeg.ede975826d05197e7bc36568fce33c84.jpeg

I just went downstairs and clamped up the panel with the legs to see how it would look. I was planning to taper the legs at the bottom but again, not 100% sold on that idea.image.thumb.jpeg.6f1cf238339c1d9c8b533aeb26176423.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f4c8c3e1c52db05c527ff8adad063589.jpeg

I did finally decide on a rough 1/2" overhang from the panel to the front leg so the shelf pin holes will be less obvious. I will cut the back leg so the panel is flush, allowing for shelves without notches or protrusions. Could easily be scaled down to 1/4" if the legs shrink.

When I was going to do a frame and panel on the side I would have had the rails top and bottom. Now that I've changed my mind to a panel I'll go without the cross-grain rails.

I hadn't thought about the shelves bowing out. Will incorporate a fixed shelf somehow around the middle to prevent that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I looked at the dimensions of our dressers and decided the leg thickness was okay but I just measured and realized the legs are rectangular with the skinnier side on the side of the dresse

Having a cohesive design look between pieces that share a room can be important so I'd try and get close to those dimensions. I like the skinny side facing forward but that could be dependent on many things.

Seeing the panel clamped the leg size looks better, the smaller scale of the example pictures skewed them to looking chunky.

It’s been a long day so correct me if I misread. You’re using 1/4” ply for the back and for the side panels? Although it doesn’t look bad as pictured but, wouldn’t a bottom rail on the sides give better protection to the bottom of the side panel, especially in a child’s room? 

1/4” for the back and solid 3/4” for the sides. 

Still waiting for the plywood. It’s in but the guy won’t tell me when I can swing by to pick it up. Keeps saying he’ll drop it off for me. Saw his truck earlier when we were driving home but wasn’t able to pull up next to him.