Entry Storage / Hall Tree

Chestnut

Lovin' the journal.  That magnet discovery is a slick trick.  We don't have much in the way of entry halls or mud rooms on the left coast but they sure would make life easier.  I've always wanted a hall tree, shoe stash, or a sofa table along the wall at the front door but our layout has room for none of that :lol:.  BTW, what vacuum pump are you using?

• Like 1

That looks really sweet! Like you, I think we just about have enough dark walnut in our house with my latest bed build and will lean more towards cherry. I think oak looks great in other peoples homes but it’s just not me. May make a couple of maple accent pieces as it goes well with both cherry and walnut. 

• Thanks 1

Looks good! Interesting...at the same time, I'm building a sitting bench to change shoes, and store more underneath. 4' wide, and 18" deep. And a cabinet 6' tall with 5 cubbies for bins, along side of it. Then a live edge slab, 12" deep, above everything for a shelf. Coat hanger under the shelf. Everything is 1" oak. Overkill, but should hold anything.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coop said:

May make a couple of maple accent pieces as it goes well with both cherry and walnut. 

I'm never fully happy mixing maple in with walnut and cherry it's too dramatic, on a single piece of furniture. It's like that person that's just trying to hard and sticks out. I like it when there is a set or pieces that are mostly or completely maple that get mixed in. I think i'm pulling that off in our downstairs living room right now but maybe I'm just delusional?

12 hours ago, roughsawn said:

I'm building a sitting bench to change shoes, and store more underneath.

Measure your shoes so you can give them enough room. I made a shoe rack that was just a bit too tight and it sucked.

Yep, thanks. Bin storage is 14"X18". And room under the bench is 16" high X 18" deep. Building it to accommodate rubber boots, winter boots, and hunting boots.

Didn't mean to horn in on your thread, just though it's funny we are both building the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike...lol:lol: 

• Like 1

image.jpeg.4467ffedeb68483091db0ad2d7699c27.jpeg
Drew, I really like the door design with the wider panels on top of the bottom ones. 
Question(s). The upper cabinet is drawn showing a center stile and two doors. The lower appears to be one door. Is that a typo? 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

image.jpeg.4467ffedeb68483091db0ad2d7699c27.jpeg
Drew, I really like the door design with the wider panels on top of the bottom ones. 
Question(s). The upper cabinet is drawn showing a center stile and two doors. The lower appears to be one door. Is that a typo? 

The lower is supposed to just look like a paneled wall so the doors won't be obvious. There will be coats hanging on them but no it'll be 2 doors on the bottom.

15 hours ago, roughsawn said:

Didn't mean to horn in on your thread

Horn away, getting off topic is mostly why i create these. We aren't doing bins, my wife asked for that but i know well enough in our house all the shoes will end up outside the bin in the middle of the floor. Having it open makes it easy to move the shoes from the middle of the floor to some semblance of a home.

• Like 1

Drew, I feel uncomfortable jumping on your thread, but for sake of simplicity, we can just call this a thread for changing shoes...lol Since we are both doing the same thing, we can exchange ideas. Heres a couple pics of my bin storage. The sitting bench will be to the left, and live edge coat rack with live edge shelf will be above that.

bins 1.jpg

bins 2.jpg

bins 3.jpg

bins 4.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 5:55 AM, Chestnut said:

Measure your shoes so you can give them enough room. I made a shoe rack that was just a bit too tight and it sucked.

+1.  So true for many commercial shoe racks as well.  We don't all wear size 6-A's.

That's a nice setup... You can't beat the character in home sawn lumber. Was that a tree from your property as well? The bins cover some up but the panel facing your man doors is in full view. Its a good side to show off.

Also it looks like someone parked a Subaru in your shop hopefully they didn't run over any tools. :D

Yep, it was a red oak from one of my stacks I've shown here.  Just goes to show, with some epoxy, brown tint, and some elbow grease...you can turn a crappy piece of lumber into a nice project. The other side was an 11" wide slab, 10/4 thick. It is the piece I showed earlier at my resaw set up. I just opened it up, milled it, and glued it up. It is bookmatched as well.

Those were the first 3 bowties I ever attempted...lol Really fun chisel work. I'm fussy, maybe too fussy at times. But really learned how to do it right. With all the slabs I have...I BETTER learn how to do it...lol

3 stalls over from the Subaru, is my shop.:)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...