Screwed

I've been following along with the wall hanging cabinet guild build.... well more limping along. I bought some shorter brass screws for the knife hinges at Home Despot. Thankfully I've veen cutting some test mortises because I've sheared the heads off of 2 of these screws with only moderate pressure using a hand screw driver. Man would I have been mortified (or mortisified) if that had happend to the work piece. Just a heads up, stay way from these shady characters.

IMG_0835.JPGIMG_0831.JPG

Cheers,

Erik

bummer! Are you pre-driving some steel screws ahead of time to cut the threads? You might find that saves you some headache. Those brass babies can be super soft.

I did not pre-drive with steel screws. Instead, I ended up tacking the hinges on with CA glue to hold them down while scribing the mortise. I'll definitely try that when I drive the real ones.

Are there better quality, stronger brass screws out there or are they all this soft?

I did not pre-drive with steel screws. Instead, I ended up tacking the hinges on with CA glue to hold them down while scribing the mortise. I'll definitely try that when I drive the real ones.

Are there better quality, stronger brass screws out there or are they all this soft?

True brass is very soft. Marc's recommendation is the same that I have read all over the web. Drill pilot holes and then predrive steel screws. As others have said, don't ask me how I know this.

-Jim

True brass is very soft. Marc's recommendation is the same that I have read all over the web. Drill pilot holes and then predrive steel screws. As others have said, don't ask me how I know this.

-Jim

In addition, it's a good idea to wax the threads prior to driving them.

In addition, it's a good idea to wax the threads prior to driving them.

Absolutely!!! As an apprentice I used to be given the job of driving any screws that had to be driven. With Brass screws then, you had to drill a shank hole then a pilot hole usually a 1/16" smaller than the actual thread size, then a measured counter sink hole, then I had to dip them into 'Vasalene' Jelly before driving them. Battery screwdrivers didn't exist then. I'm sure if they had we would never have used them. Infact I'd never use them with brass screws. Ok! I know they were driven by hand but with bras screws always drill pilot holes and coat the screw with vasalene or soft wax. Even pre-screwing with a steel screw is no guarantee as the threads are often completely different.

I don't think it is a problem with the HD brass screws. Like posts before said, use larger pilot and cut threads with steel screw of same size. I have seen brass plated screws that are much stronger but then again, they aren't solid brass.

I made the same mistake at one time but I did it in the piece itself, not a practice piece.