I'm Still Shocked!

Keggers

Some of you may already know - I took a trip to Springfield, Missouri last weekend and visited Grizzly Industrial. I bought a new 3hp Grizzly cyclone at a super price. I took another trip yesterday - about a 7 hour round trip drive - to buy my duct pipe for the collector. I'd already sent a rough drawing of my machine locations to Grizzly showing ceiling height and distances from my machines. I plan on setting the cyclone in the middle of the shop to save money on pipe and to improve the cfm to each machine. We're talking no more than 10 feet from the collector to the furthest machine, as the crow flys. I'm only going to connect the cyclone to the jointer, planer, table saw, and my wide belt sander. Two have 4" dust ports and two have 5" ports.

After my friend/salesman totaled my bill, you could have knocked me over with a feather. Amost $1200!!! I stumbled my way to the pay window and was greeted by a very nice young lady asking if she could help me. I said, "Give me a minute." I stood there, with my three pages of parts that I needed to set up my cyclone, and just shook my head. I just couldn't justify spending more for the pipe than I did for the collector. I now know why alot of folks use pvc pipe for their ducting. The very first piece on the list was an 8" (T) that was to be attached directy to the cyclone, and it was $100. $160 for the four blast gates alone. I really wanted metal pipe, and Grizzly has one of the best American made ducting systems available, but now I'm really leaning toward pvc. Needless to say, I didn't buy the pipe. Seven hours driving and 2 1/2 hours in the store wasted.

I'm still leaning toward metal, so if anyone has a suggestion of another source, I'll appreciate knowing about it. If I can't find a more affordable matal solution, I'll deffinately go pvc.

Thanks for any input.

LOL! I feel your pain, Keggers. I went with Oneida and spent quite a lot. I would've loved to have this system. http://www.ductingsystems.com/ It is BY FAR the best system. But, price does often dictate our choices.

Hey Vic,

Yep, Nordfab is great stuff. Looks like the pricing is in the same class as what I'm up against with Grizzly. I guess you expect to pay more for a complete ducting system which includes all the components designed to interlock and work together down to the blast gates and connectors. I've been searching the web all morning and the Grizzly system is looking better and better. I just can't wrap my head around the cost factor.

Hey Vic,

Yep, Nordfab is great stuff. Looks like the pricing is in the same class as what I'm up against with Grizzly. I guess you expect to pay more for a complete ducting system which includes all the components designed to interlock and work together down to the blast gates and connectors. I've been searching the web all morning and the Grizzly system is looking better and better. I just can't wrap my head around the cost factor.

Yea, it was hard for me to swallow at first, too. I just looked at the cyclone and piping system as a complete tool for the shop. Although, the initial cost was up there, I can't say I've regretted the purchase in any way. I have a dust free shop. Even my SCMS doesn't spew dust. The only thing I haven't been able to address yet are some of my routers. I'll get that figured out though. Just not having to wear a respirator all the time is well worth the investment to me.

I'm surprised that the premium duct sites advertise T connectors. I notice that Penn State doesn't have a T connector. I've heard from several sources that sharp 90 degree bends and T connectors kill dust collector performance.

I'd heard that too and should have asked the Grizzly salesman about it.

I started out pricing the ductwork from Grizzly and quickly switched over to the Oneida line. It is not as heavy or flexible, but the price was well under half. Once in place, it doesn't matter. As long as the joints are sealed (silver tape) they all suck the same. I also looked at PVC but once I got past 4" the price skyrocketed.

Mike

I use pvc. I have a 6" main trunk line and branch off to 4" at the machines. Plus, the 4" gates are more affordable. The 6" pvc was more expensive than the 4" but I think the 6" provides so much less losses in the system, I decided to use it for the main run. Plus, relative to the metal, it is WAY less expensive. It is just as easy to put together; cut to length and push together. I sealed all the joints with aluminum tape. It's been this way for 13+ years without any issues. I've even been able to add runs without any major work.

Tim

Thanks Tim and to everyone else. I appreciate all the input. I've decided to go with pvc and with the short distances I'm going to run it, there shouldn't be that much of a problem. I read in several places that the highest risk of an explosion caused by static occurs when there is a high volume of fine dust run longer distances. Finding a couple of 5" metal blast gates is my next issue to deal with.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up to my original post...........

I went back to Grizzly and bought their industrial metal piping. With the short amount of pipe that I was wanting, it made sense to me - sort of. The installation was simple. Just hold two pieces together and clamp them.

Attached is a picture of what I did. It works great!

post-18-0-79896400-1303482559_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-73329000-1303482723_thumb.jpg

I read in several places that the highest risk of an explosion caused by static occurs when there is a high volume of fine dust run longer distances.

"Highest risk" being a very relative term here. Living in here in Illinois, we have a relatively higher risk of home invasion by ninja chipmunks than by ninja saltwater crocodiles; but that still doesn't mean I'm going to lie awake at night worrying about ninja chipmunks. :)

Static discharges from PVC piping igniting dust in a wood shop are theoretically plausible under lab conditions, but statistically irrelevant in the real world. Bill Pentz links to an article by Rod Cole that puts this myth to bed quite handily. Bottom line, if you're worried about your DC system catching fire, forget about the pipes: Empty the bag/can often and don't saw through nails.

As a follow up to my original post...........

I went back to Grizzly and bought their industrial metal piping. With the short amount of pipe that I was wanting, it made sense to me - sort of. The installation was simple. Just hold two pieces together and clamp them.

Attached is a picture of what I did. It works great!

Please don't tell me that this set-up was $1,200!

Tim

"Highest risk" being a very relative term here. Living in here in Illinois, we have a relatively higher risk of home invasion by ninja chipmunks than by ninja saltwater crocodiles; but that still doesn't mean I'm going to lie awake at night worrying about ninja chipmunks. :)

Static discharges from PVC piping igniting dust in a wood shop are theoretically plausible under lab conditions, but statistically irrelevant in the real world. Bill Pentz links to an article by Rod Cole that puts this myth to bed quite handily. Bottom line, if you're worried about your DC system catching fire, forget about the pipes: Empty the bag/can often and don't saw through nails.

OMG!!! You guys have Ninja Chipmunks in your neighborhood, too?!?! Careful, they are extremely dangerous!!! I lost a dog to one last year. Never saw it coming.

At the risk of sounding a little out there I inherited a system that used stove pipe. (all 4") the fittings were taped but it worked well enough for a while. When I repositioned the shop for my own needs I was able to go to 4" flex and decommissioned 99% of the old stuff reason was it was too inflexible for movement of machines. My longest run now is about 20' with several gates onto the machines. Now the thing is I don't know if regular stove pipe would work or not but it is metal might be a solution that is far cheaper than the normal stuff. I honestly don't know if it is even workable a 6" t is only $21 online.

• 1 month later...