Evap-o-Rust WOW!

agab6601

Wow, I do not know if anyone has used this stuff but from what I have found it sure is nice! I soaked a hand brace drill bit that was fit for the trash can and it came out great! Infact I could read the writing on it and found out the is was a number 14. I am not trying to market this stuff or anything but if you are into hand tools like me and have rusty ones it really makes removing rust no chore at all and only eats rust from what I can see. I have used vinigar and that stuff will eat metal, and I have used emery cloth and that is a lot of work. However I have found that to get the best results the part needs to be completely submerged. Anyway just wanted to pass it along since garage sale season is coming up and before I would be a little hesitant about buying an old rusty saw or tool, but now not so much. Also it is enviromently friendly and best of all it does not stink like naval jelly or other rust removers. Again I just wanted to pass it along I know that Chris Schwarts from PWW talked about and other people have used too. Just type it into your search engine and it will tell you where you can buy it. I hope this helps anyone who is trying to restore some old tools.

-Andy

Check automotive places like autozone they dont carry it in as big of quantities as HF but they do carry it. I buy it there when i need it. I have restored atleast 15 different hand planes, several chisels now some files etc all using evaporust and a little bit of scrubbing to get the black gunk off. I really like this product.

For those of you that have never tried Evap-O-Rust, trust me: You will NEVER go back to electrolysis, Naval Jelly or any other of the old standards. This stuff is great! I purchase it in 5 gallon buckets to use at the Power Plant that I work in to derust just about anything from bolts to chain to cast iron pulverizer parts.

I have noticed that if you wash the stuff off it will rust again if you dont take precautions to prevent. Planes I would wax with paste wax. one block plane I am working on i put in a baggy with silica packets to prevent moisture from rusting it again.

I have a bucket of old bolts/screws/nails. Would this be something I could drop said small pieces into, let them soak awhile, pull them out, dry, and then put into the storage bins? Or once the rust is off does one need to put some sort of sealant on?

We used a silicon compound when I was in the army for cleaning and restoring called CLP never have been able to find it in a civi store and it likely costs too much if I did lol. It was great we wiped it on everything and stuff stored for months outside would have little or no rust on them. Anyway I would use something to keep the rust away once you got them clean. In the case of small parts like the bolts nails etc spray them with something lightly should last a while or just wait till you are gonna use them and clean them first.

Wonder if the stuff will stain wood if it is not cleaned off properly? Anyone see this effect at all?

Evap-O-Rust has many good features: It does not affect jappaning or most paints, it will not discolor or make brass a funky color. It can stain wood if the wood is not sealed properly or if the Evap-O-Rust has been used enough to start to get a lot of rust or oxides in the solution. I would not let it come in contact with wood if I could help it. Evap-O-Rust is also non-toxic and bio-degradable with one caveat: the metal oxides that it removes from the article that you have placed in it do contaminate the solution, so caution is advised when disposing of it.

Evop-O-rust cleans the oxides from the metal so completely that the newly exposed metal surface will start to rust almost as soon as you flush the solution off of the article. My solution has been to use some sort of Electric Motor cleaner or Contact Cleaner (Aerosol cans) that flushes the moisture off of the article and the fast evaporation of the Contact Cleaner will also help remove the moisture that is still in the pores of the metal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used a silicon compound when I was in the army for cleaning and restoring called CLP never have been able to find it in a civi store and it likely costs too much if I did lol. It was great we wiped it on everything and stuff stored for months outside would have little or no rust on them. Anyway I would use something to keep the rust away once you got them clean. In the case of small parts like the bolts nails etc spray them with something lightly should last a while or just wait till you are gonna use them and clean them first.

Wonder if the stuff will stain wood if it is not cleaned off properly? Anyone see this effect at all?

Its sold under the brand name break free. Its about $5 for a 4 oz bottle, you can even get it in a aerosol can on the civ market. easier to use than those one oz drip bottles we had in the Marine Corps.

Check automotive places like autozone they dont carry it in as big of quantities as HF but they do carry it. I buy it there when i need it. I have restored atleast 15 different hand planes, several chisels now some files etc all using evaporust and a little bit of scrubbing to get the black gunk off. I really like this product.

I used this on some surface rust on my table saw. It transformed the rust into a black mark. I wouldn't call it gunk as it appears to be a stain - you can't feel it. What do you use to get rid of the black mark?