Music

Mqutkingdom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually guitar solos are making quite a comeback. Heck, Iron Maiden seems to be making a resurgence. Even hardcore bands like Hatebreed and Throwdown have solos these days (hardcore music generally does NOT have guitar solos...) Guys like Trivium have some real talent too. Dragonforce has become somewhat of a joke but Li is a very talented guitar shredder.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I am oldies, classical and NPR fan myself. My favorite NPR program is Prairie Home Companion that comes on Saturday evening.

I currently drag my laptop downstairs to work in the shop. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a small system that works well to hook up an ipod too? I know there a bunch out there, but most look and feel really cheap.

I currently drag my laptop downstairs to work in the shop. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a small system that works well to hook up an ipod too? I know there a bunch out there, but most look and feel really cheap.

and they are.... Depends on how small is small? If you don't require a dedicated ipod connection (that you can manipulate with a remote) any shelf system with an aux input can be used with the appropriate cable (1/4" stereo to stereo RCA). Thats what I use in the garage, an old cheap Aiwa system. In the bedroom we have a small Panasonic system that you can plop the ipod in and control it with the remote and see the info on the TV.

I have an inexpensive iHome system in the garage. The sound out of it is impressive for the size speakers. It has an iPod dock so it will keep the iPod charged, too. The remote allows me to play/pause/skip iPod songs, which is great in a shop (besides power, volume, etc). The only problem I have with it is that it seems to constantly charge the iPod battery. I leave my nano in there and after so long on an active charger, it now has very bad battery memory. I can literally only play 2 songs now from full charge to off if I run on battery. Likely there's a way to drain and reset that, but still.

I got the system for $49 at CostCo. It can also run on its rechargeable battery pack and runs a very long time that way. It also has an auxiliary input that I use for playing Pandora in the shop instead.

I have an inexpensive iHome system in the garage. The sound out of it is impressive for the size speakers. It has an iPod dock so it will keep the iPod charged, too. The remote allows me to play/pause/skip iPod songs, which is great in a shop (besides power, volume, etc). The only problem I have with it is that it seems to constantly charge the iPod battery. I leave my nano in there and after so long on an active charger, it now has very bad battery memory. I can literally only play 2 songs now from full charge to off if I run on battery. Likely there's a way to drain and reset that, but still.

I got the system for $49 at CostCo. It can also run on its rechargeable battery pack and runs a very long time that way. It also has an auxiliary input that I use for playing Pandora in the shop instead.

Lithium batteries don't get battery memory... They do however have a limited amount of charge/drain cycles and if it is a multi-cell pack the cells will get out of balance...

Yeah, I know about the battery memory and lithion batteries; "battery memory" is the best way I could think to explain it. Since I rarely drained them (they were always connected to power), how does that work in light of the charge/drain cycles?

I doubt it is a multi-cell pack as the nano is tiny (ver 1 nano). Before this problem, I actually thought they might have made a large electrolytic capacitor in there instead of a battery, but this new problem is too battery-like. Thing is with the nano, "replace the battery" is buy a new nano, something other vendors would get bagged on. So, I just keep it in the iHome or attached to the computer to load it.

Any ideas to bring it back to normalcy would be cool...

The only thing I hate is that the dust collector and power tools drown out the music.

I picked up a pair of the itunes (not apple itunes) headphones with built in radio and mp3 jack. Only thing is i'm not sure what to do with the iPod (maybe get an armband) and im not sure how safe the dangling cord is.

The only thing I hate is that the dust collector and power tools drown out the music.

I picked up a pair of the itunes (not apple itunes) headphones with built in radio and mp3 jack. Only thing is i'm not sure what to do with the iPod (maybe get an armband) and im not sure how safe the dangling cord is.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of a dangling cord because I get tangled in it even when doing unimportant stuff.

Right now I just play Pandora over an iHome iPod player, but, yea, the DC drowns it out.

Someday I'll get that iTunes player, but instead of stringing the iPod (or Blackberry for Pandora) to it, I'd consider getting one of those FM transmitters so I can leave the wiring on one side of the shop and tune in music over the radio. Seems like it would work well; plenty of those on the market for car use. Just make sure the transmitter you choose allows you to choose between a lot of frequencies or at least one where you can verify there are a couple frequencies free. I got one with 4 channels and all 4 were occupied! (2 by over-deviating stations, grrr)

I'd consider getting one of those FM transmitters so I can leave the wiring on one side of the shop and tune in music over the radio. Seems like it would work well; plenty of those on the market for car use. Just make sure the transmitter you choose allows you to choose between a lot of frequencies or at least one where you can verify there are a couple frequencies free. I got one with 4 channels and all 4 were occupied! (2 by over-deviating stations, grrr)

I got a cheap Belkin one for the car and it lets you choose any frequency and has two memory buttons where you can store the channels. Of course, it's a drag having the park a car in the workshop with the engine running just to have music. :P

In reality I find it hasn't been that great for the car anyway. I think I'm in an area with an awful lot of FM transmission going on, so I could only find one frequency that wasn't drowned out by local FM transmission..and that one cuts in and out depending on where I'm driving. :(

Anyway, back to workshop music. I have an old ghetto blaster in the workshop with a cable that splits a regular male headphone plug (plugged into an MP3 player) into a standard left and right output that I plug into the 'accessory/phono' jacks in the back. It works ok for me, but it might benefit from a pre-amp to boost the output a bit. Mostly I just use the radio so it's not a big deal.

I got a cheap Belkin one for the car and it lets you choose any frequency and has two memory buttons where you can store the channels. Of course, it's a drag having the park a car in the workshop with the engine running just to have music. :P

Not that I advocate breaking the law but if you can crack open the transmitter and read up on the chip in there I think you'll find its rated to put out way more power than what it is set for. I had a Belkin and found out the chip was designed to output 7 watts! Of course I (know someone) who (may or may not have) rewired it to provide greater output and use a normal wall wart for power. This (may or may not have, if someone tried it) the reception sound a million times better and clearer on pretty much whatever frequency you want. One could leave the ipod plugged in or even in the house and still pick it up in the garage...

Or so I've heard.... :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No punk rockers in here? Bouncing souls, Bad Religion, Street Dogs, Drop Kick Murphys, H2O, Pennywise, Social D, Tiger Army, Rancid, Op Ivy, Reverend Horton Heat, Face to Face, The Blue Bloods, The Welsh Boys, Flogging Molly, Riverboat Gamblers, NoFx, Devil's Brigade, HorrorPops, Left Alone, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, Nekromantix, Joe Strummer, Transplants, and the list goes on.... Of course we can't forget about the great influences of these bands...ranging from Louie Armstrong to Frank Sinatra and everything inbetween. I suppose it depends on what is getting done in the shop...power tools and dimensioning or hand tools and joinery. Big difference in what I listen to and the work that I'm doing.

I love listening to classical music, especially the Russian composers. Rachmaninoff being one of my favorites. Too bad I don't know anyone my age who likes it too. When I'm in the mood I also listen to jazz, metal, OST's or some rock. Iron maiden and Metallica are always nice.

Guest Mahoganus

I like it all, Metallica, Megadeath, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry,Rock The Boat 1974 Hues Corporation ,Steve Miller, Charlie Daniels, BlueGrass, Juice Newton. Just about anything other than heavy rap and opera. When Im woodworking I like to listen to a good local radio station.

No punk rockers in here? Bouncing souls, Bad Religion, Street Dogs, Drop Kick Murphys, H2O, Pennywise, Social D, Tiger Army, Rancid, Op Ivy, Reverend Horton Heat, Face to Face, The Blue Bloods, The Welsh Boys, Flogging Molly, Riverboat Gamblers, NoFx, Devil's Brigade, HorrorPops, Left Alone, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, Nekromantix, Joe Strummer, Transplants, and the list goes on.... Of course we can't forget about the great influences of these bands...ranging from Louie Armstrong to Frank Sinatra and everything inbetween. I suppose it depends on what is getting done in the shop...power tools and dimensioning or hand tools and joinery. Big difference in what I listen to and the work that I'm doing.

I like some stuff like Flogging Molly, Pennywise, Drop Kick Murphys, Social Distortion (required listening for living in O.C. :) ). I work with a former drummer of the Adolescents and China White and know some guys in the other bands. Even though their music isn't very challenging these guys are great musicians. I've jammed with some of them and am completely humbled. :)