Music

Mqutkingdom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the radio a lot I find the right local radio stations play what I want as for Internet streaming I'm not big on it plus I'm in and out of the room a lot finding tools that are stored in unusual places. I don't have a big iTunes library so my I touch doesn't do a lot of good either.

In the studio I enjoy mainly instrumental music, anything from Yngwie Malmsteen to finger style acoustic guitar. I'm also a big fan of Japanese flutes on the more detailed oriented days, very calming, makes it easy to stay focused. Neil Young's harvest moon is perfect for the days I want to hear some vocals.

I didnt like it at first, but once you customize your station, it is great and you can share that station with your friends..

Sounds a little like Pandora.com; at first you get annoyed with some of the "suggested" songs based on what few things you entered, but after a day of thumbs-up and thumbs-down, it starts to nail it on the head for new music. Now, I can listen all day to it and rarely hear something I don't really like (except when doing a glue-up or, like today, while applying varnish).

In the studio I enjoy mainly instrumental music, anything from Yngwie Malmsteen to finger style acoustic guitar. I'm also a big fan of Japanese flutes on the more detailed oriented days, very calming, makes it easy to stay focused. Neil Young's harvest moon is perfect for the days I want to hear some vocals.

Oooh, very nice. Love Yngwie's earlier stuff with Rising Force. Which CDs of his are your preference? Might be able to point you to others similar to those CDs from other great guitarists. (Although with the number of guitarists here, and I am not one, I'm sure the field is well represented) Hopefully you saw him in concert; saw him for the Marching Out concert when his show was much more instrumental; dude has amazing fingers.

If the recordings of Taiko drums could convey the energy of the performances (and not rattle everything off the walls), I'd love to listen to that. Took some classes in Taiko and it's a hoot to play.

Oooh, very nice. Love Yngwie's earlier stuff with Rising Force. Which CDs of his are your preference? Might be able to point you to others similar to those CDs from other great guitarists. (Although with the number of guitarists here, and I am not one, I'm sure the field is well represented) Hopefully you saw him in concert; saw him for the Marching Out concert when his show was much more instrumental; dude has amazing fingers.

If the recordings of Taiko drums could convey the energy of the performances (and not rattle everything off the walls), I'd love to listen to that. Took some classes in Taiko and it's a hoot to play.

I really like all of Yngwie's stuff but I think my favorite is Concerto For The Electric Guitar. Off course Black Star is on of my favorite songs:

And being an Yngwie fan I do own an Yngwie Stratocaster, just can't seem to play like him.

3guitars3.jpg

Being a guitar guy and a fan of neo classical I also enjoy Trans Siberian Orchestra and this guy's video:

I was a big Savatage fan, which eventually diversified into Trans Siberian Orchestra. While you may not like all their stuff, the album just before TSO formed was "Dead Winter Dead" and I'm certain you'll like it.

Naturally, Black Star is a favorite as it is of all Yngwie fans! (oh, an I Am A Viking :rolleyes:) I was at Tower Records when they had it playing in the store. I was mesmerized and took that puppy home. Fan ever since.

Coincidentally, Yngwie was also a Japanophile and lives there with a Japanese wife. I saw him in concert in Osaka during a vacation. There's something to that Japan thing.

Others who have a similar appeal from back in the Black Star days: Vinnie Moore and Tony MacAlpine. Brilliant stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Ja4aCZKcI

This one you'll love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPOleH1SK0

I was a big Savatage fan, which eventually diversified into Trans Siberian Orchestra. While you may not like all their stuff, the album just before TSO formed was "Dead Winter Dead" and I'm certain you'll like it.

Naturally, Black Star is a favorite as it is of all Yngwie fans! (oh, an I Am A Viking :rolleyes:) I was at Tower Records when they had it playing in the store. I was mesmerized and took that puppy home. Fan ever since.

Coincidentally, Yngwie was also a Japanophile and lives there with a Japanese wife. I saw him in concert in Osaka during a vacation. There's something to that Japan thing.

Others who have a similar appeal from back in the Black Star days: Vinnie Moore and Tony MacAlpine. Brilliant stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Ja4aCZKcI

This one you'll love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPOleH1SK0

Thanks for the video links. I forgot to mention that Buckethead is also an interest of mine, just starting to check out his videos on youtube. No cd's as of yet though.

One last thing... I tried taking guitar lessons long ago. While at a store, I saw a book of transcriptions for early Yngwie albums on clearance for $1. It had tab and notes. In one song, there was a massive measure with 64 notes... obviously not to the signature of the music. There was a footnote "I have spent hours transcribing this part of the solo by slowing the deck to quarter speed to catch all this; the timing is irregular. Basically play it as fast as you can and end on a measure. Then try doing it twice as fast." The last transcription was for "Farewell", which caught my eye because it said "This is the one Yngwie solo you can hope to play without 5 years practice.". It starts like Black Star then goes into some very nice harmonics. It was the one thing I learned how to play (and forgot :))

One last thing... I tried taking guitar lessons long ago. While at a store, I saw a book of transcriptions for early Yngwie albums on clearance for $1. It had tab and notes. In one song, there was a massive measure with 64 notes... obviously not to the signature of the music. There was a footnote "I have spent hours transcribing this part of the solo by slowing the deck to quarter speed to catch all this; the timing is irregular. Basically play it as fast as you can and end on a measure. Then try doing it twice as fast." The last transcription was for "Farewell", which caught my eye because it said "This is the one Yngwie solo you can hope to play without 5 years practice.". It starts like Black Star then goes into some very nice harmonics. It was the one thing I learned how to play (and forgot :))

Here are a couple videos you may enjoy, yes I'm a Savatage fan also. Can't find the non subtitle version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Ougk0Z2BY

And Yngwie, someday I hope to master this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxPui7s4so

What kind if music do you guys like to work to in the shop?country music is my pick. If you don't like music while you work I'd like to hear about it. Second radio or mp3/c/ iPod witch is better

Depends. If its raining outside I listen to either Irish rebel music or mellow guitar music like Michael Hedges.

Otherwise, I listen to heavy stuff, Viking death metal, hardcore, stuff like that. Amon Amarth, Hatebreed, In Flames, Throwdown, DevilDriver, Five Finger Death Punch, are some of my favorites. Sometimes I listen to oldschool metal like Iron Maiden.

I just plug my ipod into a shelf system I moved into the garage.

Thanks for the video links. I forgot to mention that Buckethead is also an interest of mine, just starting to check out his videos on youtube. No cd's as of yet though.

I have a lot of Buckethead stuff.... its.... "different" :) Pretty good player but I wouldn't say he's as good as his trendiness makes him out to be. Lots of cheezy trickery. If I see one more youtube video of a 12 year old trying to play Jordan with his "killswitch" or read another post in a music forum from a 12 year old wanting to build his own "killswitch" I'm going to freak out :)

If you're listening to the song Harvest Moon you can 'sweep' the floor along with the song.

For those in the dark, the song has a background track of a guy sweeping the floor...very wierd, but it works.

Yngwie is something else. I've seen him a few times in concert back in the late 80's early 90's. One particularly memorable concert was in a bar, where he was downing shooters like he was on a mission. He was drunk out of his mind, but still played well...even though he spent most of the time talking with the bass player while performing...he wasn't too engaged in the show.

I should probably answer the question, since I'm filling up the space here.

I listen to classic rock, guitar rock, progressive rock and new country. Yes, the new country thing is 'not like the others' but the one thing I've found is that there are a lot of excellent guitarist in new country music. The guitar solo seems to have all but disappeared in most contemporary music, but it's there in new country. Try some Brad Paisley or Keith Urban and you'll see what I mean.

I should probably answer the question, since I'm filling up the space here.

I listen to classic rock, guitar rock, progressive rock and new country. Yes, the new country thing is 'not like the others' but the one thing I've found is that there are a lot of excellent guitarist in new country music. The guitar solo seems to have all but disappeared in most contemporary music, but it's there in new country. Try some Brad Paisley or Keith Urban and you'll see what I mean.

Actually guitar solos are making quite a comeback. Heck, Iron Maiden seems to be making a resurgence. Even hardcore bands like Hatebreed and Throwdown have solos these days (hardcore music generally does NOT have guitar solos...) Guys like Trivium have some real talent too. Dragonforce has become somewhat of a joke but Li is a very talented guitar shredder.