I need a new saw

SawSucker: I have to call an electrician tomorrow to install another 220V circuit. My c/b panel is full so I might have to add another sub panel. I’ve already added a sub panel for the swimming pool and spa so this could be expensive. Anyway, it cost money to have all the toys. And the adventure continues.

Next project is to complete the blanket chest I'm making for my wife. That's what I was working on when the belt hit the fan, so to speak.

Miles.

I think that the gut feeling is the most important aspect when buying any tool. If it does not feel right to you, it will take you a lot longer, if ever, to use it successfully. Think of all the impulse buys we have all made on tools, because Lowes/Home Depot/Lie Nielsen :blink: had it out on display and it looked good. Sometimes it works out great (how can you go wrong with Lie Nielsen???) and other case those tools collect dust rather than make dust because they do not perform to our expectations.

Well, the electrical work has been completed and much less finical impact than had been anticipated. I did add two new 220v circuits so I must be anticipating another major purchase. I cannot tell you what it is just yet but given enough time I’m sure something will be found. Oh, I just had a thought: I need a new air compressor. I must have been thinking about that all along. My old table saw and it’s many inserts has found a new home and upon further examination, while taking the saw apart in preparation for moving, I discovered that I may have over stated the belt problem and it looks like the fix will be much easier than first reported. Now I’m saw-less with nothing to do except go shopping for a new air compressor.

Miles

Little over two years ago I bought a used (3 or so years) PM2000 in excellent condition. Probably fairly early for that model. Very pleased with it. Came to me with a Bessemeyer Fence and the guy threw in lots of extras. I only have one Grizzly product, an 18-inch band saw that was purchased new. Lots of capacity for the buck. It serves its purpose, but doesn't have the sense of fit and finish of my PM tooling (quite a few) to my eyes and hands, no rigorous data to support that opinion. Delta sure seems worth taking a look at as well.

It is a long way away (time-wise) for a boy in need, but PowerMatic seems to regularly have big sales in the 4th quarter of each year. About 15-20% off. Products featured rotate throughout the last few months of the year. I got my Jet drum sander in 2009 and a PM drill press in 2010 and saved nice chunk of change. Local tool dealer delivers free on any sales of big tools, which saves another 5-10% over many options, of course one has to pay CA sales tax if they live at my address.

I too upgraded from a contrators/hybrid ts and have been sooooo pleased with the change.

Good luck with your purchase and beyond.

Congrats on the new saw. I was saving for the Delta about a year ago, and made several visits to Rockler to spend time with it. I love that saw and was dead set on it. Then craigs-list intervened and a

gently used PM2000 came up for sale for $750 with several blades. I brought it home and have been happy ever since. I honestly would have preferred the Delta had I paid full price, just a gut thing like you.

But less than 1/3 the cost of new, and I have no complaints. This saw is a dream over the 1950's craftsman contractor saw I had.

Ok, the saw is in, assembled and taken for a test drive. Wow! What a difference, of course I’d expect something great for that price, no dissatisfaction here. The blade was less than +/-0.001 from parallel to the miter slot right out of the box and the 90 deg and 45 deg tilt positions were dead on. Only the rip fence needed a little adjustment. Woodcraft delivered it more that a week ahead of schedule and has been great to do business with.

Miles.

Ps I’ve love to attach a picture but it doesn’t look like I know who to attach the photo file.