waterstone pans

jimmykx250

I have a water stone set purchased from peachtree which came with a tray 2 combo stones a flattening stone and dvd. I love the stones but the tray stinks. It slides all over and im not sure but it seems like i need more room. I usually do this next to the kitchen sink which upsets the wife because of the slurry i get all over. Im willing to spend some money i just want the set up to work. What are you guys using?

If it was just the slip you are worried about, I would recommend an anti-slip drawer liner. But considering it is a bit small as well, I would recommend this:

Lee Valley Stone Pond

I've been using it for almost a year and I regularly sharpen 6 plane blades and about 5 chisels on it. I have a granite kitchen counter top and just set the pond on top and get to work. It is very rigid, does not slip and easily holds two large stones.

Just my 2cents.

I made a waterstone pond for myself. You can't see this too well in this picture, but the back of the pond butts up against a scrap piece of wood which then butts up against the wall, so it doesn't move at all in use.

IMG_7623.JPG

Even though this is just made with pine, I used silicone caulk at the inside corners to make it watertight.

I keep mine in a Tupperware in water. I use a piece of ply with some rubber matting on it the rubber holds the stones well. Total cost about 5 bucks. I have seen all the fancy stuff and have thought about building a sharpening area but have not got around to it.

I got a piece of granite of CL for $25 and I just use my waterstones right on top of it, it makes a mess but I just wipe it down every once in a while and makes for a very flat surface. I have also attached 80 grit sandpaper right onto the top as well for reestablishing the bevel on an older chisel. Works very well and could not beat the price.

James

post-104-0-42178100-1304993669_thumb.jpe

• 2 weeks later...