Bandsaw Table Insert

sbarton22

Not sure if this the right place, but does anyone know where to get a quality replacement insert for a Powermatic bandsaw? The one it came with is plastic and I just shattered it (as well as probably jacked up my blade).

I would rather have a metal one, but I don't have the tools to fabricate one.

thanks in advnace

scott

Can you make one out of thin (1/8") plywood? I have made some for my old scroll saw. The problem might be getting the original shape first though.

I can't say that I would want a metal one in the case that it might pop out at the wrong time and you could damage more than just a blade.

Rog

I do not believe I am that brave with my lathe. I think plastic inserts just might be the way to go.

I also have a Powermatic 14". If you find a direct replacement please let us know. The original I have has holes in it to aid in dust colection.

The best ones are the ones that come with the newer PM 18" bandsaws. I'd give powermatic a call and see if they will fit the smaller saws. The have tiny leveling screws and make it real easy to make them flush. The other option is to measure the hole on your saw and see if it is a "normal size" For example 1 1/2" if so then just a hole saw will make them in any material you want.

Don

I know that on my old Rockwell which is the same as the newer Delta and many of the other bs's out there it is just a circle with a rabbet aroung the edge to allow the incert to be thicker. If this works for you buying the ones like Duckkisser stated would be the easiest, if not you could make one. Getting it sized is simple and cutting the rabbet on the router table with a simple jig would get the job done, just take all the cautionary measures as this is a small piece. I would just make it a bit thicker than needed and hand plane it down for an exact fit. The use plastic of some sort, old cutting board comes to mind (especially since I have a few scraps laying around) to make sure that wood movment would not be an issue.

Nate

I am looking for an insert for my Grizzly G0514X. It has a 2 3/4" insert. But all of the commercial ones are 2 1/2". I don't have a lathe. So what do you recommend?

I have searched on the internet and found others looking. But no one has posted an answer. I wish people would follow up on their posts and let us know what the final outcome is.