Favorite wood?

mds2

So, who has a favorite wood to work with? What do you like or maybe even dislike about using it?

Mine would probably be cocobolo. I've used it to build a few small things and I think it works amazing well, is extremely stable and is beautiful to boot. Cons: Price (ouch), the dust is terrible.

I like using bloodwood, because it has a striking color and you can have crisp lines. I also like using African darkwood. While the dust is very fine and respirator is mandatory, the monolithic color tones also provide striking design options.

Of the domestics, I love a simple cherry. First, and I may be wrong, but it has a closed cell, unlike oak or walnut, so I feel that finishes smoother. Second, I love the vast amount it can darken over its life...like it has a life beyond the construction period. Yes, most wood does some kind of color shift. Unlike a box elder, that fades to grey, cherry deepens to a very rich color that I find particularly pleasing.

For turning, who doesn't love a good burl? Big leaf maple burl turns like butter and has wonderful color and depth.

Honestly, like movies, the genre or intended use for the wood dictates my "favorite".

I've really only worked with domestics and up until recently I would have sworn that walnut was my hands down, no questions asked favorite. I love the color, texture and the way it smells when you machine it. My current project is a crib for my daughters first child and I'm using cherry and I have to say I love the way it machines. Next to no tear out like you get with a more open pored wood like oak or walnut. So I have to say it's my new favorite, now if I could just make it smell like walnut.

honestly i like the pine with blue streaks in it.....i know pine but with the natural staining you never know what you are going to get. these can look almost like a figured wood but it cost as much as a common 1 or 2. because so many contractors are leary of buying this lumber they are often select quality lumber but much cheaper in price. my favorite one is the all nighter project stayed up all night and got it done just because i was excited about the grain on it.

http://woodtalkonline.com/topic/4243-ok-this-is-a-small-box-as-a-baby-gift/

http://woodtalkonline.com/topic/4263-just-finished-this-put-in-a-all-nighter/

http://woodtalkonline.com/topic/4264-box-i-made-for-dad/

Air dried Walnut is so wonderful, it is a pleasure to work with handtools. So beautiful. The more I use it, the more I love it. Hate the steamed stuff, muddy and boring.

Madrone is another one that I love. The wood is beautiful. It cuts so nice with hand tools and machine tools. Since it is close pored and hard it polishes up to a wonderful sheen. Perfect wood for a wax finish.

Yew is a close third. Light, hard and a rich warm color. The perfect wood for something that is tough but light. This will also look superb with a wax finish. Since it grows so slow it is very stable.

Old growth, air dried Alder is also a joy to work with and has amazing depth. Hate the steamed stuff, so BORING and lifeless.

The pine is rough cut. 1 x 12 "Barn board" actually. You have to do some milling, and there are some loose knots to work around, but that is part of the fun because you get some really nice grain patterns and colours. You just have to put it through the planer to discover it.

been talking about buying all our lumber in 4/4 rough cut lumber that way we can get more wood for the price that is normal