Going for shop's first thickness planer!

The Finnish Guy

So i was looking at the DeWalt DW735X 13-inch Planer, that comes with Tables & Extra Knives.

http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-inch-planer-package-with-tables-extra-knives

Im not on a huge budget here, and this is going to be my first. BUT, it should handle your basic needs that you are looking for in a thickness planer.

So would this be a good planer to start with?

Ofc, you cant feed so wide stock trough it (lets assume you are making your dinner table top), so you have to do it in multiple passes, maybe in 4 pieces, and joint the pieces together afterwards,

lets say with, dominos to get the full width.

Good's and bad's are welcome.

The size is not limiting and the cut quality is great, better than most twice its size. FWIW you dont want to send glue ups through the planer anyways due to alternating the grain. Normally you would plane them, glue them, then run through a wide belt or drum sander if wanted to used a machine for the whole job.

Don

I have had this planer for about 6 months now and it was my first planer as well. Since this is the only planer I have ever used I don't have anything to compare it with, but I can say that it is easy to use. I have built my own stand for it out of 3/4 plywood as it is a beast to move around. For a basic planer, I don't think you can get much better.

I have the 735 and it was also my first thickness planer. It has performed well for me, no complaints. FWIW that looks like a great price for the planer with extra knives AND extension tables. The tables are fairly necessary with this planer to help control snipe.

• Like 1

I think any planer that thicknesses wood effectively is a good first planer, truth be told the Dewalt 735 is probably a better planer than most people start off with. I guess it is all relative and part of the woodworking/tool buying experience. I think it's really hard to know what one wants or needs until they have some experience with that type of tool. I have heard nothing but good things about the Dewalt 735, so imagine it will suit your needs just fine. Good luck!

James

I had bough the dw733 shortly after they came out and for over 10yrs I worked it HARD!! I ended up replacing it with a 15" Grizzly a couple yrs ago but I was very pleased with it, but I don't know if they have changed anything on it since to make it cheaper. A buddy of mine has also had his for about 10yrs and has been very pleased with it.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I've been flogging a 733 for 11 years and see no reason to replace it...

Something to think about that was mentioned earlier in the thread... Very rarely will a typical woodworker need a planer wider than 12 1/2' - 13". Glued up boards are very difficult to machine plane, and wide lumber is hard to find. In my shop, the 733 does rough thicknessing only. I finish thicknessing panels with a Performax 22/44 sander and/or hand planes.

That said, the 735 may not be your starter planer, it may be the last planer you ever need.