Laminating with hideglue?

Xaromir

I would like to laminate 2 1.5mm thick mahogany veneers onto each other, can i do that with hideglue?

I have this and a white glue, but it's just some cheap stuff,

and i usually wouldn't feel save using this on instrument repair.

What do you think i should use?

I would like to laminate 2 1.5mm thick mahogany veneers onto each other, can i do that with hideglue?

If this is a bent lamination, I would use something that has a rigid glue bond, such as Unibond 800

the low down on hide glue is that you can later unglue it which makes it great for joinery on pieces that may need future servicing. this also makes it not the best choice for lamination as there is a good chance that with heat the glue will fail (as it is designed to do). depending on the application, white wood glue would do just fine, or I'd go with Vics suggestion for this one if it's something that you wouldn't want to take the chance with.

Problem is: Titebond and "exotics" like that aren't widely available here.

We have DIY stores and stuff, but those are more like garden centers.

The pro for hide glue is:

It dries crystalline and hard and the wood seems to soak it up a bit better, and it doesn't creep.

But i guess i will go with the white glue, since the wood will be easier to use.

Somehow everything goes wrong that can go wrong - at least the first time i try something. xD

Thanks for the replies - it's highly appreciated.

I assumed you mean pot hide glue, not liquid hide glue. Pot hide glue is centuries old and works. Like you said: doesn't creep. Liquid hide glue definitely allows for some creep; I should have tinkered with it more before my first big project using liquid hide glue. :unsure:

White glue will creep, yellow a bit less, type 3 yellow lesser still. The plastic resin glues are tenacious. Unibond 800 is a universal favorite; nice too that you can get the catalyst in different tones to match your project.

You said you have a difficult time buying things where you are at, but where are you at? You don't have a location on your profile or in your post.

If it were me and the only options were pot hide glue or white glue, I wouldn't hesitate before turning on the hide glue pot.

Here is a how to web site for using Hot Hide Glue for veneering, http://www.ehow.com/how_6401917_attach-wood-veneer-hide-glue.html

I think this may help you feel more comfortable if you are using this product.

You said you have a difficult time buying things where you are at, but where are you at? You don't have a location on your profile or in your post.

I will edit this tomorrow, but for now: I live in southern germany.

Either i'm just really unlucky and just didn't trip over that (almost) perfect solution,

or it's just a real pain in the bottom for a beginner.

We don't have some big franchise like rockler where you would find specialized quality tools,

but you can get plants of all sorts there as well as quality food for all kinds of pets,

and you can even buy aquariums and fish at some. It's ok if you need a hammer a goldfish a lightbulb and some mdf,

but that's about it. Found a nice online store though, but their shipping costs are just over the top.

Well i don't want to whine again.

Thanks btw for the additional info on creeping. It's a really evil thing.

Imagine you build a guitar over maybe one year time, and then after a while the bridge creeps,

this would mean a lot of work, and let me tell you, removing a bridge is no fun job, not even with hide glue,

not to imagine how it would be with something that resists heat and moisture better than that. xD

ATB:

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/luthier/technique/Glue/UseHideGlue/usehideglue1.html

Problem is that it takes some practice, due to the lack of actual building experience and the tons of problems i encounter,

i didn't really got around to really get the hang of it, but it's a good glue imho.

Yea, your Aldi is the closest thing to to our "big box" stores like Lowes and Home Depot. I could find decent hand power tools there (Hilti and Festool), but there was a big lack of places you could actually touch big tools. But, you do have nice tools there. Some of Grizzly's stuff is made there now, too.

Those videos are awesome!

Thanks for that, gave me a whole new perspective on that.

Didn't knew about toplicht, will come in handy. :)

Well, hornbach obi praktiker etc are all very limited here,

ponal white in every variation possible, uhu hobby glues, stuff like that.

But my list of dealers fortunately gets longer.

I recently discovered this:

http://www.designholz.com/index.php

Some of those shops really know how to hide.