Which Woodworking Magazine do you prefer?

Ripper

Just wondering which woodworking magazines(s) you guys have found most useful. I am new to the woodworking world and am realizing just how big it really is. I know it could depend on the type of work you do but, I would like to find a good general magazine on woodworking. Something that offers good tips/tricks, tool reviews, the latest and greatest in the woodworking world, some nice projects every now and agin, etc… There are probably a few good ones but, I would like to narrow it down to just one for now.

Thanks

Ripper, I took American Woodworker and WOOD mag for a few years. FineWoodworking overlapped that. Shopnotes was also informative at that stage. I think now, I would have been taking Popular Woodworking. Now, I only have FineWoodworking come in and always pick up Woodwork magazine. Woodwork isn't going to be something you want for how-to, but for inspiration and a better understanding of design and the thoughts behind the artists work. With the advent of the immense amount of information available on the Internet, most of the mags are becoming less and less important to learning.

TheWoodwhisperer free site alone has a huge amount of how-to information and when/if you join the Guild, that information is ten fold. You also have The Hand Tool school with Shannon Rogers, Charles Neil's online school and more and more are entering the arena of online education. Dig in and enjoy!

Print media generally is having a rough time for the reasons Vic described, which is why many woodworking magazines also have online content, paid and unpaid. If you're looking for the best of both worlds - online access to magazine content and video content - an online subscription to Fine Woodworking is the way to go in my opinion.

Of course, The Wood Whisperer provides some of the best online content on the web and you can't beat the price. Does anyone else provide as much as Marc? I don't think so - video, articles, radio, live chat/video, the forum, the Guild, and... I'm sure I'm missing something.

Agreed, print is being replaced by the net which makes it much easier to search for a particular topic or find help when you need it. I work in the IT world and look at a screen 90% of my day so, call me old fashion, but I do like to sit down or lay in bed a good magazine. Its also nice to have something to read while visiting ye ole out house.

Magazines.com has them ranked…

1. Fine Woodworking
  2. American Woodworker
  3. Woodworkers’s Journal
  4. Wood Carving Illustrated
  5. Wood

I have found a wealth of info at TWW that has saved me from asking the inevitable newbie questions. It has become my #1 stop on the web. There are a couple of others that I frequent and I am finding out that I have just scratched the surface as far as woodworking goes.

Agreed, print is being replaced by the net which makes it much easier to search for a particular topic or find help when you need it. I work in the IT world and look at a screen 90% of my day so, call me old fashion, but I do like to sit down or lay in bed a good magazine. Its also nice to have something to read while visiting ye ole out house.

Magazines.com has them ranked…

1. Fine Woodworking
  2. American Woodworker
  3. Woodworkers’s Journal
  4. Wood Carving Illustrated
  5. Wood

I have found a wealth of info at TWW that has saved me from asking the inevitable newbie questions. It has become my #1 stop on the web. There are a couple of others that I frequent and I am finding out that I have just scratched the surface as far as woodworking goes.

Honestly, I don't think the Internet is killing magazines any more then instant coffee killed coffee. If anything, I think there are way more magazines out there now then there were 20 or 30 years ago... (a trip to Barnes and Nobel takes forever because I am at the magazine aisle for an hour trying to decide if there's anything I want :) ) unfortunately that makes it difficult to figure out what one you want to pay for :)

I like Popular Woodworking a lot because they give pretty in depth descriptions of the why and some historical perspective on what you are doing. I also subscribe to American Woodworker and Woodworker's Journal. Those both have lots of easier projects for those of us with... let's say questionable skill levels ;) (maybe just lazy too but I'm not sure which sounds worse though LOL)

Wood is decent but are somewhat annoying in that they advertise free plans in the mag if you go to their website but then you check them out and the plans are not complete and they want you to pay for more detailed plans.

Not into carving so I can't tell you much about wood carving magazine.

-Jim

Ripper,

I would say that Fine woodworking and popular woodworking are the two to start with - they are full of inspirational information covering all ability levels. And always feature Tricks and Tips from the people that you will hear spoken of in these pages.

There is also a wealth of TV shows - Roy Underhill's - the wood Wright Shop - classic hand tools and techniquesThe American Woodshop with scott Phillips (his teaching style is not my cup of tea - but some good ideas) and online

Marc's Thewoodwhisperer - superb instruction in in depth detail on use of power tools and handtools - his free site has great Videos - and the paid version more of the same. And one that I have only recently discovered http://logancabinetshoppe.com/ again great info on using hand tools and traditional techniques.

HTH!!

enjoy

Honestly, I don't think the Internet is killing magazines any more then instant coffee killed coffee. If anything, I think there are way more magazines out there now then there were 20 or 30 years ago... (a trip to Barnes and Nobel takes forever because I am at the magazine aisle for an hour trying to decide if there's anything I want :) ) unfortunately that makes it difficult to figure out what one you want to pay for :)

I'd say a more accurate analogy is just because you can drive through a Starbucks to get coffee doesn't mean that it's not still served at your local diner by a server behind the counter. If information=coffee, then the medium through which you get the information is the container that you get the coffee in.

Hmmm, now I want a cup of coffee.

I like Fine Woodworking first, second Popular Woodworking. I've read the rest, and they don't have a lot of value to me.

It's not really a "woodworking" magazine, but I also like Woodshop News.

FWIW, the Internet is obviously a valuable tool, and I learn a lot from various sources. However, some of the more valuable parts of the woodworking Internet are related to magazines. For instance, I pay for annual online access to the FWW archives, and every year find it very valuable. More often than not, I can find a reliable, pro quality, tip or technique, in the paid FWW article archives far more quickly than the general Internet, including blogs and You Tube. I find the better print media to be more sorted, tested, and proven, than the open 'net. Not that they never print garbage...

A great comparison is putting FWW archives against Knots... I don't enjoy Knots... :mellow:

I know of one blogger, a blogger who spends a lot of time here, who uses a quote along the lines of "ignore 99% of what you read on the Internet" at the top of his excellent and informative blog. I agree! :D

Starting out in woodworking, I would recommend Woodsmith. It is a magazine that is almost all projects and has great detail on the steps necessary to build each including material lists. Then as your skill progresses, you'll find that you'll want to step up to different kinds of information which you'll find in American Woodworker, Wood then Popular Woodworking. Then beyond that, you'll move into Fine Woodworking.

edit: I'm with Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking now but comtemplating only keeping FW now.

Popular Woodworking and FWW are my favs, and in that order.

I like PWW because I find it very informative, straight forward and geared at developing my skills. I can do without fluff.

I like FWW because it gives me ideas, shows me new ways and new products.

I also participate in @ 5 wwkg forums, each with a specific objective. I like this one (woodwhisperer) because Marc is not only a good woodworker in his own right, but a very effective communicator. He is able to show and explain ideas, concepts and methods easily and clearly using the best and appropriate methods available to do so.. video, audio, written. I usually come away from his communications knowing something new and useful to me.

Dido on FWW and PWW. When I first got into woodworking I liked Wood magazine and Shopnotes but as you go the stuff in those mags become common knowledge and you move on, I think most magazines could almost offer graduations with their subscriptions. I have gotten to the point where when it is time to write the check for the subscription that I second guess if I should because the amount that I learn from them is less and less all the time as they have a rinse and repeat on the info side of things. This is understandable as there is only so much info to print and only so many ways of retelling it. All this second guessing goes away when some time passes and I eagerly await my mailbox surprise!!

Dido on FWW and PWW. When I first got into woodworking I liked Wood magazine and Shopnotes but as you go the stuff in those mags become common knowledge and you move on, I think most magazines could almost offer graduations with their subscriptions. I have gotten to the point where when it is time to write the check for the subscription that I second guess if I should because the amount that I learn from them is less and less all the time as they have a rinse and repeat on the info side of things. This is understandable as there is only so much info to print and only so many ways of retelling it. All this second guessing goes away when some time passes and I eagerly await my mailbox surprise!!

I sense this is an increasingly common viewpoint and in fact why the on-line venues have gained such popularity recently. Rather than being a snapshot offered once a month, or maybe a review of new table saws or marking gauges, it's reloaded continuously with new information and offers the opportunity for participation, dialogue and exchange of ideas.

I currently subscribe to the following:

Fine Woodworking

Wood Magazine

Woodsmith

Woodworkers Journal

They all offer something in my opinion Wood Magazine and Wood smith would be the best choice for a person just starting the journey into woodworking. Saying that I find the on line subscription to Fine Woodworking to be my go to place for research and information.. I do like some of the small projects in all of the Magazines; which subscribe to.

Bill