An Uncomfortable Request

I think we are past the "crisis" point on this whole thing. The support of the community was absolutely amazing! Thank you to all who helped out. Keeping this thread here just because it's a testament to the power of this community. I also intentionally removed the donation link.

Hey folks. Many of you already know about our recent troubles with this whole DDoS attack. A DDoS attack is an organized deliberate effort by an individual or a group to simply take a website down, either for mischief or to put the company out of business. To sum up, someone either doesn't like my face or simply wants The Wood Whisperer out of the picture. Unfortunately, mitigating the attack and covering our existing costs is going to be a very expensive endeavor. The attack is still going on and this month's hosting costs alone just shot up to $1700.

So here's the uncomfortable part. If you have ever been on the fence about joining the Guild or perhaps you were considering buying something from The Wood Whisperer Store, now would be a really really awesome time for you to do that.

Nicole and I have always seen the entire Wood Whisperer enterprise as a "community effort". From the days when you used to support us directly to today when we can actually provide products and services in exchange for your financial support, The Wood Whisperer has always been about community (and dumping buckets of wood shavings on our heads).

Since there is a good chance this attack was either by a competitor or by someone who simply dislikes what we've created here, I can think of no better way to fight back then to humbly receive help again from the community that got us where we are today.

Marc - I was under the impression that this was an attack at some broader target (such as your hosting provider) - not specifically TWW. So this is just against TWW? Seriously?? Wow.

What's the likelihood of actually tracking down the source of the attack?

I did just make my TWW store purchase but I am seriously looking at accelerating my Guild membership (the Ruobo didnt really grab me as something I'd be able to bite off, so I've been putting it off....)

I think this scares the crap out of all of us who have a blog or website. Hopfully we all keep our heads low enough to avoid the internet scum out there that think this is funny. Good luck in the fight Marc...just ordered that apron I've been needing for far too long, can't think of a better reason to place that order now.

Sorry to hear about the attack. They are very common these days and many are done by organized crime. They try to exploit money from you to stop the attacks. I am in the network security industry if you need any help PM me with some details, there are mitigations for most.

I have to say a big THANK YOU for the outpouring of support. Personal side of things:

My parents have been at the house all week long helping me with Mateo while I take care of this mess online. Nicole is out of town on her first work trip and my mom was only supposed to come over and help here and there. But "the shipping departement" really stepped up to care for the boy while I was busy getting the site back up and running. You can imagine being a family business, there was a lot of emotion when we finally got the site back up and you all brought some tears to my mom's eyes when the sales and donations started coming in. So from the entire TWW team: thank you!

• Like 2

I've been debating joining the guild as well. I think the biggest question i still have is what sort of discounts are available via the "industry discounts".

between the quality of your videos and the fact that you are actively apart of the community, the deal has been pretty much sealed.

lastly, i believe you're using godaddy. They've certainly made themselves a target for their support of SOPA... the IT crowd is far from happy with them. so you may have been caught in an attack against them.

I've been debating joining the guild as well. I think the biggest question i still have is what sort of discounts are available via the "industry discounts".

between the quality of your videos and the fact that you are actively apart of the community, the deal has been pretty much sealed.

lastly, i believe you're using godaddy. They've certainly made themselves a target for their support of SOPA... the IT crowd is far from happy with them. so you may have been caught in an attack against them.

Keep in mind that discounts can change without notice and restrictions apply. So its not something we like people to "bank" on. But here are the current offerings;

The Wood Whisperer Store –20% off your entire order.

Rockler Woodworking & Hardware – 10% off your online order

ToolKing.com – Free Shipping!

Laguna Tools – 5% discount for orders over $50.

Bell Forest Products – 10% OFF any order.

Wood Werks Supply – 5% OFF orders over $50

KJP Select Hardwoods (Canada)- 5% OFF any order. .

CustomMade.com is offering a special discount to Guild Members! Receive 25% OFF any CustomMade subscription package.

Southdale Workshop Supply (Canadian) – 5% off orders of $50 or more (some restrictions may apply).

And we haven't been with GoDaddy in years. We wore out our welcome there a while back. :)

Marc-

I find it so terrible that you would be targeted by this ridiculous attack. It makes me so upset to think that some entity would be threatened by the quality content you provide, that they would stoop to this. In support of you and all you do, I have made a small purchase from the TWW store; I only wish I could do more....Just hang in there; the community that you have created will stand behind you, and push past this act of piracy.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that discounts can change without notice and restrictions apply. So its not something we like people to "bank" on. But here are the current offerings;

The Wood Whisperer Store –20% off your entire order.

Rockler Woodworking & Hardware – 10% off your online order

ToolKing.com – Free Shipping!

Laguna Tools – 5% discount for orders over $50.

Bell Forest Products – 10% OFF any order.

Wood Werks Supply – 5% OFF orders over $50

KJP Select Hardwoods (Canada)- 5% OFF any order. .

CustomMade.com is offering a special discount to Guild Members! Receive 25% OFF any CustomMade subscription package.

Southdale Workshop Supply (Canadian) – 5% off orders of $50 or more (some restrictions may apply).

And we haven't been with GoDaddy in years. We wore out our welcome there a while back. :)

i think godaddy wore out their welcome.

Appreciate the response. Like i said, i was pretty much sold based on the video quality alone. the discounts don't really mean much to me at this point since i've no idea what i'm really buying or desire to buy (other than the basic tool set). Consider Guild membership as part of my amateur shop start up costs ;)

• Like 1