An Uncomfortable Request

Marc, you've helped me out on several occasions with your videos and emails. It's my turn to help you and Nicole with a donation. And don't let this DDoS attack take you away from Mateo and Nicole. Your extended "family" will understand.

Marc, you have given me such inspiration to get into the shop, actually I have had to build mine from just about scratch. I have been on the fence and what better way to show my appreciation for all that you do than to get a membership to the guild. Somewhat selfish I must admit.

Good luck with the cyber attack issue.

DT

Just found out about this. My sympathies for this added headache.

As someone who is thinking about starting up a blog I figured I head over here for awhile.

Decided I needed a new sweatshirt as well. I'll probably use the old one when I paint something.

Good luck with everything.

Hope the right people find who is responsible.

-david j

Marc,

I'd love to join the guild for many reasons (a) I love your podcasts (B) to support a worthy cause © opportunity to smite the so and so's that are causing the site issues ( I've got an estwing framing hammer just for that ;) but the site won't let me join whenever I try I get a server error any tips ?

P.S. I'm internet challeneged and canadian ;) so be gentle

Thanks

Allan

Well good news Allan, your Canadian-ism isn't at fault. :) The site is blocking people out right now. But we are very close to having everything opened back up. We'd love to have you in the Guild. And just so you know, all of our design work as well as the websites themselves are coded and developed by one of your fellow countrymen. :)

Good news,

I was worried it didn't get my accent. I'll keep trying daily and hope for the best. speaking of which congratz on the new addition to the shop ( your little one ) The pic's are the only time I can get my bride to look at the site and smile instead of complaining about the smell of sawdust and bull's eye lacquer :)

Marc,

joined the guild a few days ago to support your fantastic work!

I have been enjoying your site for a long time now and had been thinking about joining the guild for some time now.

Good to hear that this whole DDoS stuff is on the way to be resolved!

I wish you strength to keep un your good work - and greetings to your family!

Stefan

Marc, not sure if you saw my tweets but a bit of an interesting thing. You're about the only woodworking personality I follow on twitter, and all of a sudden today I started getting a metric crapload of twitter spam followers about woodworking plans and pimping woodworkingplans.co. I made a comment about it on twitter and someone else replied they were experiencing the same thing and you were their sole woodworking person they follow. Coincidence?

I can't delete the spam bots fast enough. Must be at least 50 in the last 2 hours.

Good luck man, I'll be buying something by the end of the week.

Marc, not sure if you saw my tweets but a bit of an interesting thing. You're about the only woodworking personality I follow on twitter, and all of a sudden today I started getting a metric crapload of twitter spam followers about woodworking plans and pimping woodworkingplans.co. I made a comment about it on twitter and someone else replied they were experiencing the same thing and you were their sole woodworking person they follow. Coincidence?

I can't delete the spam bots fast enough. Must be at least 50 in the last 2 hours.

Good luck man, I'll be buying something by the end of the week.

Me too! I only follow one other woodworking related person but I followed them a couple of months ago and nothing. I just started following you a week or so ago and just overnight I've had 50 or more followers pop up - most of them with something to say about woodworking plans.

Might be related, might be something else.

EDIT: Although, I don't think my twitter username is anywhere on this site - so it's either via your Twitter feed or from the other woodworking twitter guy I follow (who I think I found through this site)

Did you mean woodworkingplans.com ? I want to see if there's any chatter about them spamming, getting hacked etc.

Could be a lead.

Thanks!

Actually the address in all these accounts is woodworkingprojectplans.co , NOT a .com. It looks to try be a ripoff website written in broken english. You can do a whois lookup and see it's registered to some individual in Germany. Their email and phone number is listed, but who knows if it's real or not.

I know it may seem fishy, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary about that sort of Twitter activity. Twitter spam bots monitor all kinds of things and the Tedswoodworking and woodworkingplans guys are quite pervasive. Just google Woodworking Plans and you'll see how high they rank. They have flooded blogs, forums and all social media outlets with their spam. The reason you got hit with so many requests is because you followed a woodworker with lots of followers. I am not sure how the bots get this information, but that's all it takes for them to decide you are worth spamming. I have had this happen just by accidentally tweeting a particular word that set off a bunch of follows. Its just classic twitter spam.

But I honestly don't see how or why this would be related to a DDoS attack on my website.

Marc - I put my renewal in. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

now everyone... TO THE BARRICADES!

Jonathan

======================================

In my old law enforcement days, the phrase was "To the mattresses" :D I also sent in my renewal early. We all appreciate your contribution,