Getting Started!!

I have enjoyed the Wood Whisperer web site for a few years but this project is what pushed me to join the Guild. I purchased plenty of 8/4 rough maple yesterday and got started milling it up today!! I have the tools to deal with the rough lumber so it saved me a couple of bucks on the lumber cost. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

It's not only a fun project Steve, but a very functional one. I'm LOVING my bench. After working on an exterior door atop a couple of sawhorses for several years, it is really nice to just clamp something down and go to work. You'll love your's, too!

I got the boards all milled for the front half of the top today. Tomorrow morning I will domino and glue it together then get started on some other part of the build while the glue is drying. I have to say after only this much of it laying there clamped together........this thing is going to be a BEAST!!!

post-6663-0-12382000-1332127388_thumb.jp

This morning I got Slab A of the top dominoed and glued together.

post-6663-0-79148100-1332187652_thumb.jp

Now does anyone notice anything really wrong with that picture? The clamps were high enough that when the garage door was opened it hit the two tallest clamps and really played heck with my insulation on my garage door in one spot before I got it stopped!!! Be fully aware of your surroundings.

On a more positive note I found this little tray and roller set at Walmart this morning, great for the glue ups.

post-6663-0-05497500-1332187674_thumb.jp

Welcome aboard Steve and Scotty. You guys have set in motion a dangerous entity with this project that feeds on one thing only - "WORK", and I'm loving it, lol. Swinging these bench slabs around definitely helps put hair on your chest. Like Marc said, be careful not to hurt yourselves and get help when you need it. The project is also putting the tools to good use and test, so be careful and plan your moves. Once you get through the slab stage of this build, the gears shift up and the rest of the project moves along more comfortably - [smaller parts, easier milling sessions and so on]. I'm right behind Bjorn and just finished making parts for the leg vise. The leg vise is next on the agenda. It's a great build so far and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'm sure you guys will also. Once you spin the BenchCraft wheel on the end vise, you'll understand what your ultimately going to end up with. Gotta love it. Anyway, enjoy the build and be safe doing it. Watch Marc's videos, they're a big help.

Art K.

Here's a few pics to wet your whistle, lol

post-6211-0-78857200-1332260829_thumb.jp

Bridge City HP-6v2 Multi-plane with radius profile - I love this tool!

post-6211-0-37032000-1332260882_thumb.jp

Fitting up

post-6211-0-02200100-1332260912_thumb.jp

Checking alignment

post-6211-0-74046700-1332260932_thumb.jp

Dry fit

post-6211-0-46184400-1332260963_thumb.jp

Fabricating the roller bracket

post-6211-0-34502500-1332260987_thumb.jp

Parts for the leg vise

Good observation, I was just checking to see if anyone was paying attention, lol. When I said I finished making the parts for the leg vise, I lied. After posting, I realized I had more work to do. Chalk it up to wishful thinking, Oooops! The mortises are now finished and I'll tap and thread the set screws tomorrow. I'm pretty much following the Roubo plan. The only thing I've done differently was to shorten the bench by two dogholes to the left of the leg vise. Small shop = smaller bench. I'll have to put an order into Santa for a larger shop, but I won't hold my breath over it. It's good to want, lol.

Thanks for checking up on me.

Art K.

post-6211-0-89183200-1332287969_thumb.jp

post-6211-0-79463500-1332287993_thumb.jp

Hello Everyone,

I have joined the guild as well because of this project and also because of the great job Marc is doing with his podcasts. Alot of very good information. As soon as I finsh putting my wood shop together this will be my first project. Waiting for the arrival of a Sawstop Industrial saw along with a new 8 inch jointer and Mortising machine.

Andy

My take on this, and you can see my build on my site, but it's much like building a house. REALLY slow, then a lot of progress, then REALLY slow. You get the picture. The vise stuff was slow for me, but it may have been a lot faster if I hadn't been way ahead of the Guild videos. Marc's videos on top of the awesome SketchUp that Aaron Marshall has done for the build are a HUGE benefit! I've followed Marc since the very, very early days and can tell you there isn't ANYTHING on the net or television that compares to the quality of video or content you get on the Guild. NOTHING!

• Like 1

I told you - building these slabs are a lot of work. I felt like Grizzly Adams when I was done getting them together. It gets easier once you're past the slab stage. I'm waiting for a 3/8 spiral bit so I can cut the mortise in the leg chop for the parallel guide. Like Vic said above, one minute you're making a lot of progress and then things come to a crawl. While I'm waiting for the router bit, I am milling and making other parts of the bench. Thus the Deadman and the Deadman Runner have come alive. Tomorrow I'll start making the shelf ledgers and the shelf boards. Your slabs and tenon are looking good. Wait until you get the vise gear installed, then you'll taste the sweetness of this build. The BenchCraft hardware is the bestest, lol. Just be careful when you start doing the router work, go slow and easy. There's a lot of material to hog out. Until the next time, be safe and enjoy.

Art K.

post-6211-0-62740500-1332552662_thumb.jp

The Deadman came "Alive"