Observations of working in a "pro" cabinet shop

I should have timed this better for safety week :)

Appreciate the support and advice you all have given.

One thing I keep thinking about is, why is there this blah attitude towards safety and best practices among the skilled trades. I realize I'm making a huge generalization as I've only worked in this one shop and saw a few others while handing out resumes. But if you're a shop owner, why not keep up on safe practices and educate yourself. Does anyone rip the seat belts out of their cars because they're a "pita and I've been driving with out'em for 20 years and never been in an accident."? Maybe a slippery slope I'm going down.

Anyway, it's done, I'm not going back and tomorrow the search for employment begins again because there has to be something better.

I think you might have misconception of what its like out in the real world of the cabinet industry as do most. Its not the glamorous woodworking industry that some in vision. Its not the slow paced woodworking shop of a furniture maker. Its cut throat, fast paced dangerous industry that need to be that way to produce a profit in today's world. Being a hobbyist first alot of folks get the wrong impression of what a real world cabinet shop needs to run. You don't have the luxury of time in a smaller shop. The big shops are pumping out cabinets so fast that you have to keep the pace in order to compete. A ten man shop is a small shop and those ten guys bust butt to get things done with the lack of space and dedicated equipment for each and every task. Most shops don't have the luxury of catering to the wealthy to sell high end one off cabinets. The ones that are still in business are pushed to pump our product because profit per piece has dropped to an extremely low rate.

If you want to see what the real world cabinet industry is like go to a temp service and ask to be placed at a door or cabinet manufacturer in your area. Yes I said temp service, these companies don't hire skilled tradesman because the cabinet industry really doesn't require any skill. Work there for a month, you may decide the industry is not for you. You may decide stay for awhile and learn enough to strike out on your own. If your lucky enough to get on a sheet goods table this will teach you how to really cut sheet goods. Everything you learned as a hobbyist will go right out the window. If you can get into a door factory you will see why the little guys don't make their own doors. The pace is so fast you will be amazed. Sticking machines and cope machines that are cutting never ending pallets of material, your putting out enough material to make 10 doors a minute. Getting this type of experience even through a low paying temp service gives you and Idea of what the little guys are up against. It give you a better understanding of the industry as a whole. It gives you the opportunity to see where you can search for your own niche if you intend to try on your own. Most importantly shows you the importance of learning how to work in an efficient manor. Pretty much everything you learned as a hobbyist is not real life in the cabinet industry. There are very few shops that can work at a good pace and produce enough work to stay alive in this economy.

I'd hate to see what you guys would think if you came on my job site!

I can't believe he handled all that sheet metal with no gloves!

he's only gonna use saw dust and duct tape for a bandage?! His finger is hanging off!

He's not gonna climb that roof without tying off is he?

A SawsAll should never be run with out safety glasses!

Is he really insulating that duct naked....

Er.... Wait, what?!

I think you might have misconception of what its like out in the real world of the cabinet industry as do most. Its not the glamorous woodworking industry that some in vision. Its not the slow paced woodworking shop of a furniture maker. Its cut throat, fast paced dangerous industry that need to be that way to produce a profit in today's world. Being a hobbyist first alot of folks get the wrong impression of what a real world cabinet shop needs to run.

I think the glamorous part is actually funny... But this happens in many industries, including commercial aviation, auto and motorcycle fields, architecture and interior design, music and film production, software and web development, commercial art...

My favorite comparison of hobby woodworking to a commercial cabinet or millwork shop is cooking dinner at home to Gordon Ramsay's kitchen. But with MORE swearing! :D

I'd hate to see what you guys would think if you came on my job site!

I can't believe he handled all that sheet metal with no gloves!

he's only gonna use saw dust and duct tape for a bandage?! His finger is hanging off!

He's not gonna climb that roof without tying off is he?

A SawsAll should never be run with out safety glasses!

Is he really insulating that duct naked....

Er.... Wait, what?!

Whew! Tough crowd!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Sliders are pretty common in small custom shops, it's nice knowing I'm cutting 4 square corners not just two sets of parallel lines, also cutting 30" of 96" ( or 97") is a hell of a lot easier, and safer. And no track saw is faster for that. Cross and rip cuts on one machine, without accessories. No dropping miter gauges.

Although dado setups are best cut on small saw, repeated narrow rips as well.

When I first started working in cabinet shops, there were no earplugs or respirators. Shoot, we even cut asbestos lab tops with a circular saw and thought nothing of it. Nobody knew any better. Fortunately for me, I worked in shops that insisted on high quality. NOBODY used the guards and splitters that came with their saws. Those went in the trash when the box was opened.

When I first started working in cabinet shops, there were no earplugs or respirators. Shoot, we even cut asbestos lab tops with a circular saw and thought nothing of it. Nobody knew any better. Fortunately for me, I worked in shops that insisted on high quality. NOBODY used the guards and splitters that came with their saws. Those went in the trash when the box was opened.

What a different world we live in today!

I have a brand new UniSaw guard if anyone needs one....

All the other issues I agree with. The first beer is after any power equipment has been turned off and someone else is driving you home. Safe use of a saw is one thing, not using the guard is my personal choice . If I had a riving knife and an overarm guard with dust collection I would use it for most cuts. The Micro Jig splitters have made a noticeable improvement in the cut quality when I am ripping and it is safer as well.

Free hand cuts on the table saw is the sign of a careless fool.

• Like 2