Jointer Issue

Eric.

I used a very long straight edge to adjust mine and had it going diagonally from the very front corners to the very back. 'Took a bit of messing with the cam adjustments, but was able to get it dead on coplaner.

(null)

Well, I would say you're good on the tables. How are they to the cutter head? If that is dead on, I start to think it is technique. I've managed to make wedges in the past, but not to introduce twist.

(null)

How long a board are you trying to flatten? The longer the board, the harder it can be get flat. Your evaluation of the board and technique will play a big part in getting a board flat on a Jointer.

If you are new to jointers and planers, Hendrik Varju has a great DVD set. I learned quite a bit from them. His DVDs aren't the cheapest, but nothing is left out. It's almost like taking a class from him.

http://www.passionforwood.com/

Mike

I have attached the manual for my jointer... I cannot find any instructions on how to make the tables coplanar... from what I can see my outfeed is drooping causing my problems. Any ideas?

Your jointer is not a parallelogram jointer, so the technique to set the tables is different. What you need to do is set shims between the base casting and tables until they are coplanar. You'll want to set shim the outfeed table because you'll be adjusting the infeed table to change the depth of cut - the outfeed table doesn't move.

Parallelogram jointers are much easier to adjust for coplanar.

(ull)

Hey Folks,

Im wondering if my jointer is coplanar or if a subtle dip in my outfeed table is causing the problem. I was jointing some pieces of African mahogany and ended up with rocking chairs trying to joint 1 edge. The more I run it over the jointer the more extreme the hump on the edge gets. My first thought was my outfeed table was sagging but I checked and infeed and outfeed seem coplanar. Then I sat the straight edge on the oufeed table and found a dip right in the middle about .0025", would that be enough to cause this problem?