5mm vs 1/4" shelf pin holes

Which one is more problematic? I have zero investment in either solution so whichever one is superior is what I'd like to choose. For instance, is there an advantage to hardware compatible with one or the other that I don't know about?

Tex. If you like festool, then get the metric. One day America may come in line with the rest of the world and go metric...it is far simpler. I was an apprentice carpenter when Australia made the change from imperial to metric back in 1974 so am conversant in both forms of measurement but I find metric with a base of ten is so easy to nut out.

The idea behind 5 mm holes is a system. You drill the front row of holes 37 mm back from the edge. And the rear row of holes is a multiple of 32 mm back from that. Hinge plates will mount into the front row, all the holes are 32 mm apart vertically . Drawer slides have holes which fit the 5 mm euro screws front and back. There are a number of jigs that will help you use this system of holes.

And you can also use them for adjustable shelfs!

I am currently building a pantry for a client. By drilling the interior of the case they will be able to move the drawer slides to any height they like. It is smart to put more than just 2 screws in a slide, but the front and back screw in the 5mm holes will get the slide level and propery aligned.

• Like 1

I use 1/4" just because I have one of these

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2080713/29325/14-drill-bit-for-shelf-pin-jig.aspx

I make my own templates out of 1/8" MDF. Guarantees that I have level shelves.

It seems that I can buy both size clips at most stores. But I would go to your local store and see what they have more of and then buy that size bit. In my opinion, the two different sizes are too similar to provide a major difference in performance. Just pick one size and stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 1/4" straight bit in my router with a 1/2" bushing in conjunction with a home made jig, I use 1/4" shelf pin because thats the bit I had when I built the adjustable shelf pin jig. You don't see a bunch of metric bits in Home Depot in my neck of the woods.