Which kreg kit do I really need?

Coweyeboy

I'm having a hard time deciding which kreg kit to buy. I see there's a $140, $100, $40, & $20 kit. Im only making a foldable workbench, but, I'm also looking to make home furniture like shoe racks and shelving. Do I dish out the $140 or can I settle for just the $40 kit? Thanks

I got the high end Kreg Jig K4MS (the $140) and have made a ton of stuff with it. But the $100 K4 is just fine. The only difference is that you get a sample kit of screws with the $140 which is nice (I built a couple projects with those screws before I bought anything else) and a clamp. You could get by with the cheaper $40 kit but I am happy I got the deluxe kit. These days I make almost all of my cabinets and bookcases using pocket screws.

Just to make the decision a bit harder, for a limited time I think you can still get the free 675 screw kit (usually about $22 to $25) with purchase of the $140 k4ms. The deal has been offered at several places, but the only place I am still finding it right now is here:

http://www.ptreeusa....rect_052912.htm

You can also get free shipping. I just went through the order process (short of actually ordering) about 5 minutes ago and it still seems to be available there at Peachtree.

Let's be honest.... all you really need is the $20 kit. The rest of the kits add things to make it easier and faster.

As someone who went the $20 route.... Buy the bigger kits. You'll thank yourself later. Sure, you can get away with the smaller one. But having to line every one up all the time got old real fast. Plus, the bigger kits provide parts that would have prevented a couple of my mistakes.

You really don't even need to 20 dollar kit. You can make your own jig if you wish.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/drilling/pocket-hole-drilling-guide/

That being said, I bought to 140.00 kit. I have used in on a few projects - mostly on face frames. I would not say it is an essential tool, but it does the job it is designed to do well.

The accessory I like the most is the dust shroud. It does an excellent job of getting the mess picked up.

Thanks everybody...I think when it comes down to it, is...Do I go for the double $ points going to Lowes via Best Buy Reward Zone OR use the link I got from lifesaver2000 and get the extra screws? But I like the fact that I can pick it up tomorrow and get double $ points from Best Buy haha...thanks everybody!

Biggest advantage is the attachment to vaccum up the drill shavings. I own the original Kreg jig, 25 + years ago, and the bit had to be constantly cleaned/ cleared. With a tiny shop vac hooked up you can work much faster. All the adjustments are nice , it just depends on if you work in materials of varying thickness.

Kreg brand screws have worked fine for me, gone through thousands of them. I have also used several 25 lb boxes of off brand imports as well. You have to do a little testing and figure out where to set the clutch on your screw gun. I have more screws strip out from over tightening than heads snapping off.

If you're breaking screws, you're over tightening. The screw just tightens things up enough until the glue dries.

This all comes from my co-worker who uses his kreg jig a ton. He refuses to buy the kreg screws anymore. I've never used them myself.