Glue on clamps!!

riedlj

I unfortunately don't do it as much as I should, but I'll coat the bars with a thin coat of wax which usually allows the glue drops to be popped off. When that doesn't work I'll go at it with a dremmel tool with a stiff nylon brush head and that takes it off without damaging the metal teeth. Epoxy on the the other hand is a different story. I'll actually tape the bars once I know far the heads will be spread apart under pressure like Pug suggested..

Well now that is just crazy talk... :)

That's funny... It's rare that I put all the clamps on one side in any glue-up.

An interesting trick that my local woodworking school uses, one that I can never remember to do, is to keep edge planed 2x4 shorts handy for spacers. They lay the parts on the 2x's, tighten the clamps, then stand the assembly up and wipe off the 2x's.

This leaves space between the bottom clamps and the work, which serves several functions: Far less glue gets on the clamps from the get-go. There is room to get a paper towel in to wipe the bars without removing them. Clamps can't stain the wood.

I've even gone so far as to make up some supports and toss them into the bottom of my clamp rack, but I STILL forget to use them!

So more seriously, I have a stack of plastic sheeting (left over from a subfloor install; comes in huge cheap boxes). I put a sheet on the clamps before clamping if I think it'll be a big problem. Usually don't have much of a problem with it, though, and if some does dry on the bars, a quick shot with the heatgun melts it right off.

• 4 years later...

I see that this is an old topic, but my question is related.  When I first got my Bessey clamps I was not careful about getting glue on the teeth (I now always use painters tape to cover them).   Does anyone have a good method of removing the old glue from my Bessey clamp teeth? 

10 minutes ago, tom850i said:

I see that this is an old topic, but my question is related.  When I first got my Bessey clamps I was not careful about getting glue on the teeth (I now always use painters tape to cover them).   Does anyone have a good method of removing the old glue from my Bessey clamp teeth? 

The best thing you can do, after you thoroughly clean your bars, is to wax them pretty heavily.  This will help dried glue flake off so you don't have as much cleaning to do later.  Once the dried glue is caked on so badly that you can't take it anymore, I use a chisel to scrape off as much as I can, then I use a heat gun to kind of soften the rest so it's easier to pick out.  Cleaning clamps is a huge PITA, and I don't do it nearly as often as I should...I just kind of "deal with it," the sticky heads.  A couple of my more oft-used clamps' bars are about 50% larger in diameter than when I bought them. LOL  Exaggerating, but they're bad.  Need a cleaning, but ain't nobody got time fa dat.