Winter Turning Challenge and Trade 2012

Roger T

With the success of the last T & C, I figured we could squeeze in another one before the end of the year. So, here goes.

With the Holiday season upon us, the natural thing to choose for this C & T is Hollow Bodied Christmas Ornaments.

Guidelines for this challenge are:

Diameter not to exceed 3".

Length to not exceed 10"

Each ornament must contain a minimum of 3 separate elements, ie: top finial, ornament body, and bottom finial.

The ornament body must be hollow.

Each ornament has the potential to be hung on a Christmas tree, and as such, the weight of it will be a factor. An ornament that is to heavy will cause a tree branch to sag.

There is a little shorter deadline for this C & T. Names will be paired on December 9th. You will have 3 weeks to complete your piece.

Just like before, please respond to this thread telling me you are in, and I will keep the list updated. Have fun with this one, ornaments can be quite fun and addicting to do.

Good Luck.

Roger

Ok, here's what we can do. The original intent of this was to get you to do a little bit of hollowing, and some spindle turning to complete the piece. And this is still the intent of the challenge. But, If you would like to create a second piece, that can be any design and enter that.

If we get enough people that make a second piece, we can do a seperate trade for just those pieces. Or if we can figure out what to do as time goes along and i get some suggestions. But you will still need to make the original hollow ornament to qualify to make the second one.

Does this sound feasible to all y'all?

Roger

Mine is done, I just need to put the finish on it. This was an excellent challenge and I learned a lot. The one I am submitting for the trade is a whole lot better than my first several. It's not eggshell thin, but I did make one that was eggshell thin that now looks much like a cracked egg! Now that I know how to make them, ornaments will be Christmas gifts this year!

Cindy