Circular saw suggestions?

RJsumthn

I'm another advocate of the TS55 here, when you save up the money for it. I'm about to lay about 1,000+ SqFt of laminate wood flooring tomorrow, and this saw is my ace in the hole. Cutting that stuff without adequate dust collection is terrible. I'm excited to see how the TS55 handles.

• 10 years later...
On 11/24/2012 at 9:09 AM, RJsumthn said:

My Craftsman circular saw has officially died. It will get about 4 inches into a cut and then it bogs down and stops. I would like get a new one because making cuts on plywood with my contractor table saw is just about impossible.

I know that everyone is going to suggest a track saw but that is just was too far over budget. I can only spend about $100, max.

Suggestions on a normal circular saw would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - RJ

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a blade shape to cut from a 1.5mm thick circular saw blade. I have cut the tang, but would like to hear any ideas about blade type or shape.

Since this 10-year-old thread is going off the rails anyway, I'll bite.

@riqaza, I suggest incorporating the arbor hole of the saw blade as the transition from tang to blade for the knife. A simple "chef's knife" shape is always practical, but I've seen others work within the radius of the saw to cut a 'talon' blade, sort of like a karambit.

If you are not in rush, and feel comfortable evaluating a used tool, you might see if anyone in your area is getting rid of tools on FB Marketplace or Craiglist.  It's not uncommon to see lightly used homeowner tools for sale for good prices, and as others have commented, some older power tools are much better built than what you commonly see now (unless you are looking for professional gear, which starts well beyond your budget).

I inherited an old (circa 1990s-2000?) Porter-Cable 447 with a magnesium shoe that has been a great saw - a contractor actually tried to buy it from me.  I looks like it's been replaced by the PCE310.  I have no idea how the new saw compares to the old (it probably sucks, given how B&D has repositioned Porter-Cable), but it might be worth a look, as it seems like they retained the magnesium shoe and it comes in under your budget - it would leave you with some funds to buy a really good blade and, if you don't already have one, a long, solid straightedge.  Or materials.

I have a Festool track saw now, but for years I managed with an 8' length of aluminum bar stock and a couple of clamps.  If/when you get a track saw, the TSO guide rail square, while pricey, is a great accessory to have. 

I was gifted a Skil that I still have somewhere, but haven't touched it since I got the Porter-Cable.  It had a laser, which I found to be a useless gimmick.  I suppose it might be useful if I were docking 2x4s all day on a job site somewhere.  As I recall, it also had a flimsy metal shoe.

I would echo other poster's suggestions to look at Milwaukee and Makita - I've never been disappointed in any Makita tool I've purchased (two drills, three sanders).  DeWalt is also worth evaluating - their track saw gets decent reviews, although I think it originated somewhere in Europe (much as the DeWalt routers are an evolution of the Elu line).  As others have suggested, some of the decision rests on features - how things lock up, how things adjust, etc., but some of it also ergonomics, which is hard to judge without going to a store and trying a few.  At lower price points, power tools are probably more similar than different, but there often differences that matter.