Has anyone ever found Live Oak for sale?

TheFatBaron

• 3 months later...

So I have been planning a plank chair to go camping with and came across a local sawmill in Houston that takes trees cut down in the city for stock. He had this MASSIVE plank that is apparently more rare than I thought. Well I have been working with it for a couple days and done some carving on it and I gotta say, it’s TOUGH! It has caused the death of a diamond bit and a tungsten carbide bit.

It has some wild grain and I can’t wait to get oil on it once all the cuts are done. Had no idea how tough this wood was before I started to work on it, even though it’s tough I think it’ll be worth it in the end.

By the way the slab was originally about 15’ long and was cut in two for storage purposes and was drying for about three years. I got both pieces one was about 9’ (pictured) and the other obviously was shorter.

Also the black line going through the wolf’s nose is actually grain, it looks like a chunk missing but it’s 100% black grain.

67C9A235-66E9-42CA-88C9-81CA65E497BA.jpeg

0CBEBFF9-6427-4826-AEE6-89C0ABEA033D.jpeg

8D07E97A-B2B1-422A-A2A5-08E4C16C062C.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 12/11/2012 at 7:47 PM, wdwerker said:

Built plenty of stuff out of dead oak...... Bada boom

Just for the helluva it, I went back and revisited the initial post and found this. Thank goodness Steve chose woodworking and not stand up comedy! 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/30/2013 at 3:35 PM, Tom King said:

Jatoba is listed at 2350 and Live Oak at 3200  http://ejmas.com/tin/2009tin/tinart_goldstein_0904.html    According to that Boxwood is a little harder than Jatoba.  I use Boxwood for some things, but the pieces are never very large.  I have some dry logs that are 5 or 6 inches in diameter.  It machines beautifully, and has almost no grain.  Lignumvitae is still the winner at Janka 4500.

not really

1.thumb.jpg.9e2afce4e8b7326740f7e77ab0b9d06f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...