Workbenches from Design & Theory to Construction & Use

G S Haydon

Forgive me if this is covering old ground but I have just finished the book "Workbenches from Design & Theory to Construction & Use". I really enjoyed the book and found it good value and very informative. I put the full review on my blog . I have only really ever worked from a bench like this (dad working on some stair strings). They have always been great for large scale work that we do and power tool work. However I have found them lacking of late when working on my own projects using hand tools. So on the horizon a Schwarz inspired "French" bench.

Have any of you read the book and what are your thoughts? Did you make a carbon copy of the benches within or adapt to suit your own needs? Any changes you would make to the approaches shown in the book?

i looked at the book when i was first deciding on what needs to be done with my bench.  none of them pertained to me much i needed something small only 2feet by 3feet for carving still wish i had more flat room to set my work on but you do what you have too. i did get a few idea's out of it but for carving there just wasent must for me.   so i basicly just made a table with 4 feet.  the top is plenty thick and soon i will put in some drawers.  after the drawers are in ill decide if it has enough weight to keep from rocking at all.  yes even though it weighs a ton there is still some rocking when i carve on it.  if it still wants to move then ill have to add more weight or bolt it to the floor.

it seems like all benches are basicly the same a table with a few small differences depending on the type of work you do.  for example i carve and the more artsy type of wood working like inlay and  marqatry.  someone that cuts cabinets on power equipments probably wont need complicated vise set ups for joints.  but more of a surface to set parts on for sanding and shaping.  but someone who does lots of hand tool work would need some decent vises that can be set up to cut joints or plane edges and surfaces.  and the size of the bench all depends on what you make if you are hand planing long boards for benches then you need something that is longer then wide.  if you make boats then you will need a top that lots of holes for the bending forms plus it needs to be large for the larger parts.  for someone who makes sighns then a flat top with dog holes and a vise is a must to hold the wood flat while you carve or route the top.  

while i know next to nothing about making a bench since i have only made one it seems like you have to find your own style of wood working before you should build a bench.  build a bench to suit you dont change you to suit your bench. 

Hi RJ,

I was going to build a very simple "English" style bench before reading the book. However the info within the book convinced me a "French" style bench will work better for the type of work I am likely to do.  Before you make your next one see if you can pick up a copy and have a read. I am sure you could pick up a second hand item on Amazon for reasonable money

"you have to find your own style of wood working before you build a bench don't change you to suit your bench. " Good advice duck. As I am a joiner by trade the french bench appeals. I also like to be able to clamp to the bench which is a good thing about our simple 8 x 4 foot workbenches. The aprons on the english style would mean I could not do that. I am gutted, admitting the french got it right is painful for an Englishman ;)

• Like 1

Haydon, have you considered the Benchcrafted Roubo that the WW Guild built?  I never read the Schwarz bench books, but after a considerable amount of other research, I came to the conclusion that the BC Roubo is about as versatile a bench as you can build.  And if clamping to the bench is important to you, this one is unrivaled due to the split top.  The hardware is expensive, but it's a dream to use.  I have zero regrets about going the BC Roubo route.  Here's mine...

• Like 1

Thanks eric,

That's one impressive bench! Thanks for the heads up on the WW guild build, I will be sure to check it out. I aim to research plenty before starting my build. All I know for sure is it will be a "French" style bench. The best improvements I can see on your bench over the Schwarz is the position of the parallel guide on the vice (his perhaps looks a bit too low beneath the rail and it changes on the petite roubo he builds) and the use of hand wheels on both vices. I would imagine the wheels give quick adjustment? What finish did you put on your bench? Do you ever loose sleep over damaging it? Could I put a picture of it on to my pinterest page "Dream Handtools"?

Absolutely!  Here's a video of Jameel (I believe he's the owner and creator of the BC hardware) playing with a non-split top version of a BC Roubo.  It must be an older bench because he doesn't have the wheel on the leg vise.  But you can see with what ease the tail vise is operated.  Super high quality stuff, and silky smooth.  And when it bites a workpiece, it bites dead solid.

http://youtu.be/awLNuslxud0

And here's a quick overview video of the split top...

http://youtu.be/D1Z2kd0rg4Y

Here's the Benchcrafted website...

http://benchcrafted.com/str.html

I just used a couple coats of BLO for finish.  I never lost sleep over damaging it, although the first few major dings did hurt pretty bad.  But after I'd done a project or two on it...meh, it's a bench...that's what they're for.

• Like 1

Wow, where to start. First of thanks Eric for the info. I have put your bench on to my pinterest site with a link back to your article, thanks for letting me do this.

First video, what a wonderful sight to see the board prepared by hand using mainly humble Stanley planes that sound super sharp. I prepared the baseboards for my tool chest like this but as you can see my method of securing the boards was only plastic fixing blocks. Since I started my mainly hand built tool chest I have found work holding a real nightmare. 

That takes us onto video 2. What a sweet bench with loads of work holding. I will be sure to review this really closely before I start my bench.

So pleased to hear you are happy to pound your bench. The only thing that I fear with some bench builds is that they are such wonderful items people might be afraid to use them, unlike the French dude who made this one

Thanks again for the info.

I fell in love with the Roubo while reading that book.  I built the BenchCrafted split top design along with TWW Guild.  I documented the build on my blog and have a few shots here.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tumblewoodcreations/sets/72157632827127344/  I plan on either doing a moxon or another smaller, taller bench to bring things like dovetails up toward my vision line.

Enjoy the build.  It's fun, not too difficult and big reward at the end.

I've got the book, read it and it gives much food for thought. I haven't quite decided on what sort of bench I would build but it would probably be a derivative of the Roubo described in the book expecially as Marc has recently built one in the Guild. The only thing that put me off was the cost of the hardware as I would have to pay import duty on the parts with me being in the UK. Maybe that is a build for the future.

For now I will make do with the commercial one from Sjoberg that has many flaws but at least it is ok.

If I was to do one thing that would be to make a Moxon vice. I would find that very useful.

Hi TerryMck,

I am just looking into the hardware at the moment. It does seem an issue. However I am investigating using of the peg handwheels and having an engineer combine them with a tail vice like this or this . I think if I can get the tail vice sorted the leg vice should be easy. Happy to keep you posted on progress if you like. I have drawn up a French bench in sketchup over the past couple of days cherry picking features from Schwarz version and what I have seen on forum members benches too. I am basing it on widely available pse European Redwood available from most builders merchants in set sizes at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for helping with the feedback on the chisels, I have found some Sheffield Marples splitproof with barely any use on ebay, fingers crossed they stay cheap.

That looks great and let me know as you progress as it sounds very interesting especially with the use of redwood.

I posted a message on the UKWorkshop forums http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/uk-supplier-of-benchcrafted-hardware-t66868.html about sourcing hardware for a Moxon vice and it seems that it is easier than I first thought. The hardware from Benchcrafted is the ultimate of course but there are several engineering suppliers of handwheels (as you have pointed out) and lead screws.

The WDS company over in Leeds now have an online retail division and their stuff is used throughout all manufacturing industries to make jigs and fixtures http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Machine-Parts/

I'd forgotten about them as when I was an engineer many years ago :rolleyes: I used to use WDS a lot. Now I'm in computers I no longer use them on a day to day basis (you don't need a toggle clamp in a C++ program ;) )

Nice to see you got some splitproofs interesting to see how go get on with them. I bought a shed load of Sheffield chisels from a deceased cabinet maker last year from Preloved. Some of these were trash but a lot of them are superb Sorby, original Marples, Wilkinson Sword etc. He must have only had one eye though as they were all sharpened like skew chisels (not quite square but leaning slightly to the right). He must have used a bench grinder and sharpened them by his one good eye like a pirate. They worked for him obviously but I sharpened them square and put microbevels on and they cut like a dream. They are flatter and hold their edges better than some of the modern chisels I have with the exception of the few Lie Nielsons I possess.

Thanks for the leads. I am sure all bits can be easily made from readily available components from suppliers. This is after all a vice not the apollo missions.

I had forgot about preloved, I will give it a look. Sounds like you had a nice haul of kit. I really like it when you find some old craftsman's tools with some eccentric details like odd angles on chisels.

Any interesting projects on the go?

I have a display cabinet that I am building for a commission. It is to match an existing commercial cabinet that was bought by my client a couple of years ago. They bought a curved fronted base unit that has 4 drawers, with curved fronts and a sliding door again curved. The display cabinet sits on top and echoes the curve of the lower cabinet. This one will have 3 curved uprights, a top and bottom and a faced plywood back. Very simple and I am working on it in the shop at the moment.

It is solid oak and will be finished with General Finishes Enduro Var subject to me doing a few samples.

I have it on my tmcwoodworks.blogspot.com site and I have also blogged it on my blog on here too complete with pictures. It'll be finished ready for delivery in a couple of weeks with luck.

Thanks Terry, took a look at your blog, great work! Congrats on being featured on the woodwhisperer site. It's easy to see you engineer past with your thorough approach and high levels of finish.

Vic, Thanks, that's why I am enjoying the forum. Quick responses and a heads up on how to improve before you get started. I normally just build and then think, if I did it again I would do x, y, z. It's nice to do that before the build.