YAYARB: Yet another yet another Roubo bench

Warren Hein

I agree that it is a slight disadvantage, but I deliberately set the rear jaw slightly proud of the front. Given the ability to rotate the whole assembly, any warp in the piece could affect my ability to do so. In the case I want to secure against the face or leg, I'll make some shims to do so. One of the things I really like is when I have the vice rotated like in the last picture, my work is held up at a higher level, reducing if not eliminating the need for a moxon vise in the future.

There is certainly no cost savings in installing this vise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I can now say that the bench is finished. I had been using the bench as is for a few months without the bottom shelf, sliding deadman or planing stop but finally decided to just get it all done and out of the way.

I've got to say that I love the versatility of the Emmert. I get the extra height when I want it by swiveling it 90 degrees and for various shaping tasks I've always got lots of options. About the only complaint I have is that it will rack easily if only one side is in use, so I keep scraps nearby to shim the other side of needed.

937d495a2e10ed7b01a008b398955d49.jpg

85dc550f346a2699a37f40cb2ecc28f1.jpg

I've already added some inadvertent character marks on it, but it's a bench and made to support some serious work.

065d4d6b353a47ab66e11cd0ed52e6fa.jpg

A few more final shots.

0ef5f88029ddc42f214195ae0ba47b87.jpg

7f1b307d97baa8afbb1c1ba5adebaabe.jpg

On to my next project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Racking is actually a built in feature of the Emmett, intended to hold non-square components so the front face will always tilt to attempt to match the angle. As long as you're aware of it, it's simple enough to work around. I seem to recall there being an adjustable shim set specifically for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...