YAYARB: Yet another yet another Roubo bench

Warren Hein

Continued on with the rest of the base assembly, drilling out the holes for the bench bolts. Only one didn't line up well and required expanding the hole through the tenon. These benchcrafted bench bolts are very beefy. No movement on the base one I tightened everything up.

Posted Image

Began milling some of the top and placed on the base for reference.

Completed reassembling everything I could on the vise and checking out how this will mount underneath.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I need to figure out whether I can mount the rear assembly for the vise on the front portion of the bench top, since the top is split into two pieces. I think once put together with the dog strip and front face, the front piece is just under 12". I will need to take out a lot of material to mount this, especially since my top will be about 5" thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bench needs to be done in record time. I've got projects in the works for years which haven't finished or started due to the lack of a proper bench. Trying to plane on my workmate is next to useless. I'm already using the base of the new bench to fine tune the top pieces prior to glue up. This project is the reward which will keep on giving.

Spent a few hours in the shop last night milling up parts for the top.  I'm anxious to start doing the glue up, but I was thinking that due to the thickness of the top and the profile of the vice while mounted, I would be better off milling out much of the material with a router on the individual planks prior to the glue up, and only need to do the finish fitting once the top is laminated.  My deepest bit is 2" so I think this will give me a cleaner final result than what I would need to do with a mallet and chisel once assembled.  I've got another 6 boards to finish milling, then I'll pick and choose the placement of the boards for lamination.

Just for kicks, prior to planing the planks to a closer bench thickness, I gave some of the bottom boards a shaving with my #7 I restored from eBay.  No need to workout if I'm going to do much surfacing the old fashioned way.  

Finished all the surface end edge planing last night. What to do with all of the shavings? Our compost bin is already full.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now to start selecting and arranging the boards for the top. I need to plow out about 3" just for the beam on the vice, so making a bushing guide for my router and taking out that material before glue up is making more sense to me as I think it through. Just need to work out the exact placement of each board first.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've managed to get much further along. Before gluing up the top, I decided to route out the groove for the face vise. I made a simple template for this purpose. This section doesn't need to be perfect, but should save me a boatload of chisel work down the road.

Posted Image

A few boards glued together with the channel routed out.

Posted Image

Before working on the end cap, I was faced with cross cutting a 5" thick top. Since my skil saw couldn't go through even after flipping and cutting both sides, I wasted out a channel and perforated the rest with my drill, making it easier to cut the rest with a very poor quality hand saw.

Posted Image

After some chisel work, it came to look like this, to be followed with some end grain planing.

Posted Image

Tried my first run at dovetails for the end cap. Ended up with much more of a gap than I would have liked. Still lots of strength in the joint and along with the bench bolts, was plenty strong. Shimmed the gaps during the glue up. If it bothers me too much in future years, I'll cut through the dovetail and redo the joint with a bow tie.

Posted Image

Working through the vice installation. This is the benchcrafted tail vise. Installation was quite straightforward. The main thing was performing some initial flattening of the top and bottom so my router wouldn't tilt while hogging out the trench for the rail guides.

Posted Image

I need to complete the dog hole for the tail vise, but otherwise that aspect is complete.

On to the installation of the Emmert vise. What I've found out and read is that the cast iron on these vises is very brittle. I had to replace the hub lock after cranking down on it without the hub in place, resulting in a significant piece breaking off. The new hub is from a different model, for a hub about 1" deeper, but it still works with the vise I have.

Onto the fitting and hogging out the waste.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

One thing I forgot to accommodate for when pre-routing out the channel is the the screw lock which connects with the depth adjustment and slides along the beam.

Posted Image

So, I had to hog out some additional area in the channel to accommodate for it.

In addition, while taking out the hinge pins to put the new mounting bracket on it, I broke off a small piece of the hinge shoulder. I used too big of a punch to try to push the pin through and busted off about a 1" chunk from the end. There was still a lot of hinge shoulder left and it's a relatively low stress area, so I experimented with some CA glue on the broken hub, saw it hold with some relatively good strength and decided to glue the broken piece of the hinge back. It's not noticeable and I'll see how it holds up.

Posted Image

Some fine tuning and it fits the opening in the face. I did have to carve out some of the profile into the bench leg to make it fit.

Posted Image

Since the bench top is 5" thick, I did have to inset the tilt lock bracket about 2". Rather than go deeper, I tilted it some in the mortise to provide a full 90 degrees of adjustment.

One thing I did not accommodate for was the screw coming out of the tilt lock lever, so I did have to hog out some of the bench base to allow me to fit the too to the base with the vise installed.

Posted Image

Now, the vise is fully installed and I will need to make myself a handle so I don't continue to use a plunger handle to spin the main screw.

Posted Image

An Oh sh*t moment.

While working on the lamination, I was worried about leaving the dog hole strip unprotected in my workshop, so I glued it up with the front face as soon as I could to protect the it from breaking where it was only about 3/8" thick.

However, when I was working on the dovetail on the front face, the whole assembly dropped to the concrete floor. Worried that I broke off one of the dovetails, I was relieved to find it was fine, only to find the whole assembly split along the length for about 18". After a substantial amount of swearing, I quickly hid the evidence, spreading the void open some, and squeezing wood glue into the void until it came out the other end, and using some thin CA glue where I could not get to with the wood glue. I neglected to take pictures of the original damage, but here's a picture along the repair.

Posted Image

It's really hard to detect and I'm glad I didn't have to restart that portion of the assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An incorrect measurement when figuring out where the channel for the emmert vise belonged, I was forced to hand carve more of the channel. I could only get so deep with the router.

Posted Image

Finally, I got it fitted along with the mortise to connect with the legs, and on to cutting the tops to length. I could only get so deep with my circular saw, and since I wasn't impressed with the results after flipping and using it on the bottom, I just went ahead and finished the cut with my hand saw.

Posted Image

Results before cleaning up:

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That vise is a beast and pretty impressive looking...but I do wonder if the cost savings is worth all the extra work to install it vs. the BC leg vise.

I fear you may have an issue in that the rear jaw of the vise doesn't sit flush with the front laminate and legs of the bench.  The whole Roubo concept revolves around the ability to use the front of your bench for work-holding...flush to the leg in a vertical position, and along the front of the bench in the horizontal position and supported by the dead man.  If the rear jaw of your vise isn't flush with the front of the bench, all these work-holding concepts are neutralized and the design is basically moot.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like a problem to me.  ?