First project - bedside table

eJohn

This is my first completed (almost anyway) project.  It's a bedside table based on plans from Ana White.  It's made from pine.  I chose this due to the low cost of the materials.  I got my first shot at gluing up a panel from three separate boards for the top.  This table will match our bed (a king size farmhouse bed, from Ana White, as well).  This table uses pocket screws and glue as the main joinery.  I incorporated a small curve into the stretcher beneath the drawer.  I cut this on my band saw then sanded it to the line.  It's far from perfect and there are some gaps.  The drawer is b u t t jointed with nothing fancy.  The drawer is a wood on wood design; it slides on wooden rails, which I've lubed with wax to help it slide better.  

After assembly I gave the top a 1/4" roundover, then sanded the entire piece to 80, 120, then 220.  I wiped on a coat of sealcoat shellac, not thinned.  After it was dry, I hit it lightly with the 220 grit and wiped on another coat. Lastly, I sanded with 220 again and hit it with one more thin coat.  

I realize this may not be the place for ana white, pine and pocket screws.  However, I'm darn proud of this little table and it's given me a much better understanding of the craft.  Hoping to work my way up into hardwoods and more traditional joinery.  

post-15291-0-38712400-1394054146_thumb.j

post-15291-0-52017900-1394054152_thumb.j

post-15291-0-27011200-1394054157_thumb.j

• Like 1

You got it.  You'll have to remind me about a hundred times before I remember though.  Or more likely I'll think your name is Robert because he's the more famous Johnson guitarist in my mind.  Either way, keep building and keep posting, John! :D

• Like 2

There was a comedian named Ray J. Johnson that did a skit  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc about being called Johnson

Whoa!  I had an old friend who used to say that to me all the time.... "You doesn't have to call me Johnson".  My response was always like...Ooooooo K.  Now it all makes sense.  

Must have been before my time, but it was pretty funny.

Nice side table ! What are you going to build next? I remember that comedian but it has been quite a few years......

Next up is a similar bedside table for the wife's side.  It will be wider as there is more space between the bed and wall.