Building a wood strip canoe

ScottE

16glto3.jpg

I got a serious hankering to build another canoe over the winter. Since I already have a wood tandem boat that I made some years back I decided to build a solo canoe this time. The design is the Northwest Passage Solo and it's 15' long. Instead of the usual western red cedar, I built this one out of basswood. I wrote an article about how I built the boat on my Furniture Blog if you want to check it out.

• Like 1

If I built anything that beautiful I would have trouble dragging it up on a rocky beach.

I definitely carry it up on rocky beaches, but I keep in mind the words of the guy I bought my first set of boat plans from. I had called him around the time I was spraying on my last coat of varnish and he said "great, now the last thing you need to do is get yourself a 16d nail and go at the bottom with it! Ya just gotta get over that." I use the boat and it gets some scratches. I've never had someone come up to me and say 'nice boat, too bad about the scratches'.

I used 8' strips for the boat, but I was careful to keep strips from the same plank together so that I had a nice color match at the butt joints. You can see the joints if you really look for them, but if you just look at the boat you never see them. As for the cove and bead, I made a little jig with 2 routers on it (one with the coving bitt and the other with the bead). They were offset by the width of the strip. Then I stuffed the strips through the jig and it did both sides at once. Worked pretty slick.

• Like 2

I built a Six Hour Canoe once. It isn't technically stitch & glue, but it's almost like that. It is quick. Strip building is really utilitarian although I'll admit you could throw a boat together pretty fast with S&G. Faster than strip building. What ever floats your boat, as they say. It's all fun.