Need some help

Heavydc2

So I have this pretty cool cherry burl slab that I am just about ready to finish. My plan is to make a lazy Susan out of it. I am thinking tung oil in that it has poly in it. I am sure there is a million different suggestions, but I am new to this so any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

I think you should send it to me

Frankly you can use any finish I would sugest you practice on some cherry scraps. I'm not sure how the burl will absorb the oil but considering the grain and shape of the wood you could claim any defects are a part of the burl look :)

This is probably one of the dumber questions ever on this site, but here goes. I've seen many times where people mention stabilizing wood. What is it and how do you do it?

In a nutshell... My understanding is this...

The wood is put in a vacuum chamber with some resin and it gets in there. Then it's baked at a certain temp for a certain length. It comes out stabilized. :)

I can ask my buddy that does mine, if more info is needed.

Tung oil may darken the slab too much for your tastes. You could try walnut oil, which is much lighter. I've used it on Cherry, followed by dewaxed shellac then water based poly (belt and braces probably).

As said above, test on a scrap piece first, end grain in this case I'd imagine.

HTH

John

Ignore Mel...no one has access to the kind of "stabilizing" process that he speaks of...except him.  You can consider filling any of those holes or cracks with epoxy that look like they might cause you trouble.  Personally I'd just roll the dice and NOT do it, in order to avoid having ugly epoxy in that beautiful chunk of wood.  I would follow his advice with the Arm-R-Seal, though...it's essentially an oil/varnish and will save you the trouble of mixing your own.  It's good stuff.  I'd use satin.  And skip the wax...with all those holes and cracks and nooks and crannies, wax would be a mess. :) 

I hear "vacuum chamber, resin, and baked," and I don't think of something easy to do at home.  Well maybe the last part.  But of course where there's a will there's a way.

Hey Mel, does this process have any effect on the appearance of the wood?

My usual routine is 3 to 5 coats, sanding between with 320.  Then after it cures, polish everything with a 2000 grit Platin pad, lubricated with a mix of mineral spirits and mineral oil about 1:1...this protocol is for satin finish.

That's all straight out of the Spagnuolo playbook.

• Like 1

Wood-hardener = min-wax....they have some. Have no clue what it is? 

My vote is Arm-R-Seal and call it a day!

If the wood is soft and punky...a wood hardener is probably a good Idea. Never used one. But I have a hunch it my prohibit the nice take in of an oil?

Perhaps one of those bowl turners can chime in. They use wood hardeners on spalted turnings I believe?  <_<

-Ace-

Thanks for the tips, I have already filled the wholes with epoxy... but its colored and almost looks like it belongs. 

I have not used walnut oil before, I will have to try it out.  As far as stabilizing goes, I am not sure if that going to happen on this one.  I plan on giving the finished product to the guy who I can get this stuff from... to hopefully make it that much easier to get more.