Swinging Cradle

georgepag

Cherry cradle based on some plans I found online. It was designed to be a solid piece but I made it a knock-down cradle. Turned cherry pins and purpleheart spacers to support the top and through tenons on the stretcher. All secured by purpleheart wedges. My wife Michele made all the bedding. It seems to work.

post-4265-0-27152900-1405107993_thumb.jp

post-4265-0-11805000-1405108152_thumb.jp

Thanks. I think drilling the holes on the concave end rails was the biggest pain. Lots of clamps and setup on the drill press to hold everything at the right angle for each hole. If I make another one I think I'll rig up a small table for the lathe bed and use it as a horizontal borer.

Great job. And I love the idea that the kid sleeps. My first one didn't sleep for 18 years....Drove me nuts! But it was a short drive anyway!

we need to talk, mine hasn't slept for 11 months!

Beautiful crib, I'm sure it was much easier to build one from scratch then trying to put one together from Walmart... Ask me how I know! Better yet, don't :(

Beautiful work!  As you described the difficulty of boring the holes, I went back and studied a little on it.  Yep....that was a pain I'm sure!  I initially thought of boring many holes perpendicular into a wide board that was to become the top rail as with a drill press and then cut the arc from the wide board with a band saw.  Problem is the holes would have to be really deep and the board really wide to begin with.  Other thing is, the holes would be perpendicular to the top rail if they were drilled in one wide board.  Problem is your top rail and bottom 'base' are different radii; and the holes were drilled at an angle.... so I am stunned this cradle was built at all!  Good work but I have no idea how you did it. :huh::)