Which one to buy

DevilDoc

My birthday is coming up and have a reason to buy a new tool or two. I need help in making a decision whether to get a jet air cleaner for a 24x24 garage workshop or get a veritas large shoulder plane and a router plane. I need both but can only spend $400 (the wife put a limit on me since I just bought a no. 4 smoother last week. Any advice will be appreciated

I feel like I need more info.  Dust collection/cleaning the air is a serious matter that one might not feel like throwing money at.  But on the other hand, I love planes of all description.  A true dilemma.  ;)

I use the box fan with furnace filter idea with success so that is one way you can possibly "have it all" for less.  So, in other words you need both.  Right?

miw

Dilemma. What price your lungs versus "I want those planes". Get the air cleaner with some spare filters (make sure you still wear a respirator or mask when machining though), make do with the planes you have for now and get the other planes another time.

• Like 1

I have a 2hp dust collector that I use on larger tools like the table saw and planer, a shop vac with a dust deputy. I have also been using a 20" box fan with a filter and I am pretty religious about wearing my respirator when using the power tools. Where my dilemma is a want vs need. I have almost convinced myself that my current dust collection setup plus a respirator will justify me getting the planes and get the air cleaner next. I appreciate all the comments and your opinions matter

I have little to no faith in air cleaners in an active shop. They excel at clearing the air when things are calmer and dust still settles out onto surfaces. Dust collection and a respirator are fantastic, the air cleaner substantively less fantastic. My two cents.

• Like 1