The woodworking rabbit hole (and how I fell in)

It's an expensive but very gratifying rabbit hole for sure.  fortunately, once you invest in the basic stuff, you can add as your pocketbook allows.  It's the basics that hurt a bit.

Beautiful work by the way!  Your bench certainly does not look like construction lumber! 

I never thought I would be doing woodworking. Although mine started on a sad note it is bringing me joy now. My father got sick last year and eventually passed away and somewhere during all this I started going out in the shop and sawing up 2x4s and tinkering around. Guess it was kind of a release for me and at the same time found the wood whisperer also and as doom said the rest is history what a great rabbit hole it is though

• Like 1

Great story of how you got into woodworking , both pieces are nicely done . The finish on the bench came out fantastic . Thanks for sharing your story .

I got into woodworking as a kid (15 ) , I had a radio with plastic sides on it and I wanted to replace them with wood . I cut and sanded some wood up , probably pine but I don't remember . I got this idea of using coffee for stain , my mom looked at me funny when I asked her for some instant coffee . I told he why and off I went to stain my little project . I was amazed it worked and looked pretty and smelled even better . That hooked me, I fell in love with wood right then .  I asked my grandfather to help me build a workbench since he was a carpenter and I was on my way . The bench isn't anything fancy just a flat top with a shelf under it .  I don't have that radio anymore but I do have that workbench in my shop at home . I should bring it over to my work shop , one of these days I will . 

• Like 1

From a child, I can remember my dad building things though it was just a "around the house" thing - a cabinet here and a shelf there and I always love to build things so I helped.  Back in college, there was just an incredibly cute girl I used to see sometimes....she'd come and sit on the floor outside of our class and study; waiting for her class the next hour and I'd watch her through the glass that was beside the door and went from floor to ceiling. From about 9:30 to 9:50, I didn't hear another word that Dr. Von Frank said.  Her smile, laughter, bright personality was infectious...I didn't know that glass would change the course of my life.  What I ALSO didn't know was that her dad had a wood working shop!  One day, I saw her talking to Ramona, one of my friends and we were introduced, we began to date and I married the girl on the other side of the glass....a wood worker's daughter and learned a lot from him in his shop and learned to love him as well.....now.... her dad is gone and Melinda and I have 31 years of marriage, 4 kids, and 6 grand kids.....and ......I have a shop of my own...all because of a glass. 

Funny how things work out.

• Like 1

Well...let me follow up also with a shout out to Marc....I don't even remember how I found Marc or this site but as a result, Marc and many of YOU are responsible for the shop I enjoy now.  Off the top of my head I remember Vic Hubbard's shop and Southwood's shop.  They're neat and organized.  Vic has the DC under the beautiful floor and Southwood has a NICE miter saw station.  Things like that made me look at my own shop which was a detached, 2 car garage that was basically storing junk and not really usable.  Many of you inspired me to take charge and declare war on junk.  Haven't won the war....don't know if I ever will but I continue to fight BUT...I do have a shop to work in.

I got started as a kid, puttering around with my Dad's tools; just hammers and hand saws used for everyday home repairs.  I used to build "furniture" for my G.I.Joe's and other toys.  I just found The Wood Whisperer about 3 months ago, finally got caught up on all the Podcasts.  This Forum is a great thing! There aren't any woodworkers around me that I know of, so this makes me feel not so isolated in this obsession of mine.  Thanks to all of you for all the inspiration and comradery!  Tony

As a relative newbie to woodworking...I feel like I am starting down the rabbit hole and I also wish I could have gotten into it earlier although I was also held back by a lack of money, time, and space).  While I had always enjoyed building things when I was younger, it really all started off with my desire to make a crib for our first child (now due in less than a month) but I quickly realized that I would need to "prove" myself to my wife before she let me take on a project of that magnitude/importance.  I had done some refinishing work and made a few small things (refinished dining room table and chairs, made cribbage boards, etc.) and while she was happy with my work, I had never actually made a piece of furniture, let alone one to hold our little girl.

That said, I jumped at the opportunity to make a retro coffee table for my sister-in-law based on a picture she found in a magazine as a "first step" to prove I was capable and competent.  Once it was finished my wife seemed impressed and slightly more comfortable but not fully convinced.  Next up was redoing the stairs in our house.  I pulled the carpet and the metal rails and laid down maple with new hand rails, newels, and balusters.  While not a piece of furniture it still went a long way to show her I could do it and to reinforce the fact that I would take this build seriously.  Eventually I got the green light on the crib so I started planning, sourcing lumber, etc.  Now that the crib is done I find myself thinking "what can I build next" but with the baby coming, all three of the finite resources which limited me before will be greatly reduced.  Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand, babies require a lot of money, time, and space (well...they don't LITERALLY take up much space but I used the nursery as the workshop to build the crib since we were redoing everything in there anyways...not a workshop anymore.)

I know that I couldn't be more excited about the fact that I will be able to lay our baby down in a crib I made just for her and I can't wait to add more baby projects to the list (toy chests, rocking horse, etc.). 

I am looking forward to continuing to feed this passion in the future so I welcome the wormhole with open arms!

The baby will be all grown up before you know it. The wood will be waiting. Treasure the time you have with your baby girl while you can. Make her some furniture and toys along the way. Who knows? Maybe she will want to follow in her old man's footsteps, and make a little sawdust along side of you.

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

• Like 1