Project ideas for unused 4" maple flooring?

ajkezele

Hi all, I have some flooring leftover from a recent project and figured I would throw it out to the forum to see if anyone has any ideas for what I can do with it.  I don't really have the space to store it but can't see just getting rid of it so any suggestions would be appreciated.

One idea I had was to make a headboard for a bed in a spare bedroom but I am not sure how that would look.  If I don't go the headboard route it would be great if it was something that someone might actually want as a gift/purchase because I have a decent amount.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, flooring is generally too thin to do much with it.  It's funny...installing my Brazilian Koa floor is what led to me getting serious about woodworking.  I had a bunch of material left over and I couldn't fathom throwing it away.  I started looking into things I could do with it...fast forward about 9 years and I have a full shop, I'm basically broke and my wife hates me. :D  (Exaggerating...mostly.)

Yeah, flooring is generally too thin to do much with it.  It's funny...installing my Brazilian Koa floor is what led to me getting serious about woodworking.  I had a bunch of material left over and I couldn't fathom throwing it away.  I started looking into things I could do with it...fast forward about 9 years and I have a full shop, I'm basically broke and my wife hates me. :D  (Exaggerating...mostly.)

So you are saying your shop isn't that full? ;)

Flooring tends to be dried within an inch of it's life, and hard as a rock. I wouldn't recommend it for hand-tool projects.

We have an Armstrong flooring factory ( formerly Bruce Hardwood Floors) here in town. In the late seventies / early eighties, I would go there and buy scraps by the pickup load to use as kindling in our wood stove. At that time they produced mostly parquet flooring in oak. Small as those sticks were, a 16d common nail would fold over just THINKING about being driven into it! Sure did make a hot fire, though!

Yep, its tongue and groove.

Use it as a feature wall in a small room. Maybe an entry hall , tiny half bath or study ?

This is kind of the idea I was thinking of in using it for a headboard.  I'm looking to be pretty lazy with this project for multiple reasons so I was aiming for ideas that could use it with little additional work or as close to "as is" as possible.

Thanks to all for the tips