Shop Tour

..Kev

Anyone who lives in the corn belt should also consider models of pellet stoves that will burn corn. Only my opinion but I have seen years where friends saved a lot of money this way.

Both of mine will also burn corn..  Good point C!

I get to see Kevin's shop in person on Thursday! It looks way too organized. I am going to make a mess somewhere in his shop when he is not paying attention, take a selfie and then post it to the forum!

Look forward to making a mess Thursday James!  Cool thing about messes is that they're cleanable!  I'm sure we'll find something to make a mess with..

• Like 1

Solid shop, Kev.  You gotta lotta space.

I have one of those retractable hose reels, but I haven't put it up because I almost never need compressed air.  How often do you use yours?  I use my brad nailers occasionally for jigs, but I was thinking about selling them and the compressor off because they just take up space 99.9% of the time.  Or maybe I'll get a pancake and put it in the attic on a switch.  Sorry for thinking out loud off topic in the middle of your shop tour thread. :blink:

I've got a hose reel also, it's not mounted yet, but I use it for putting air in my tires or connect it to my sand blaster. I have a 20 gallon compressor that I got from my dad, it's loud as could be when it fills. I use it mostly for blowing dust off my projects after sanding, as well as cleaning up my tools. It's a bit of overkill as I'm giving my media blaster to my dad for his shop (he does car stuff). 

The hose reel is great because the hoses I have that are stiff when they are cold and a pain to put away and keep neat.

Solid shop, Kev.  You gotta lotta space.

Or maybe I'll get a pancake and put it in the attic on a switch.  Sorry for thinking out loud off topic in the middle of your shop tour thread. :blink:

Great idea! I might do that. The attic over the garage is an accessible storage area in my house. This storage space is adjacent to the master bedroom, have to be aware to not flip the compressor on while the wifey-pooh is taking a nap. That might be bad.

Great idea! I might do that. The attic over the garage is an accessible storage area in my house. This storage space is adjacent to the master bedroom, have to be aware to not flip the compressor on while the wifey-pooh is taking a nap. That might be bad.

You'll only do it once  ;)

• Like 1

Muffle the noise and maybe put it inside of a box encased in quiet rock.

Pellet prices here have been pretty steady for a long time.  I buy 2 pallets of pellets a year for a total cost of about 400 bucks.  It's cheaper when you buy it by the pallet.  The issue with propane is the price fluctuates too much IMO and we won't even talk about the tank..   ;)

I turn my heat in the shop off at night completely.  It was 30 degrees in there this morning when I fired it up.  Came in and got my coffee and went back out about 1/2 hour later to find it was at 60 degrees.  Now, I'm heating less space than you are so that will definitely make a difference.  I also heat my house with pellets and we turn that down quite a bit at night but, the house heats up fairly quickly in the mornings.  The thermostats are programmable just like any other heating unit and they turn themselves on and off..

Well you're not making me feel any better about my decision. I have no regrets going with my Hot Dawg propane furnace as it works great, but something about burning wood pellets in a wood shop just feels (and smells) right. My buddy up the hill took his out because he said it was a pain filling every day and cleaning every other. So, I let people talk me out of getting one.

Oh well, once I'm cutting hardwoods in a warm shop I won't care how it got warm!

Well you're not making me feel any better about my decision. I have no regrets going with my Hot Dawg propane furnace as it works great, but something about burning wood pellets in a wood shop just feels (and smells) right. My buddy up the hill took his out because he said it was a pain filling every day and cleaning every other. So, I let people talk me out of getting one.

Oh well, once I'm cutting hardwoods in a warm shop I won't care how it got warm!

All good..  My guess is that they've come a ways since your buddy had one.  You still have to put pellets in but, not nearly as often as they hold more and burn more efficient now.  As for the cleaning, well, I only empty the ash can 1 time per year but, I do usually give them a good cleaning about twice a year.

Now, with all that, the price has gone up as well.  The one in the house had to look pretty for the wife so was around $4500.00..  The one in the shop didn't need to look pretty and ran about $1800.00 ..  Installation is a DIY project.

I burned wood in my last home for heat (High Eff wood stove) and I loved the feel and ambiance of the wood fire.  It so natural, and HOT.  Our furnace was oil, which was insane to buy, so I kept the homefires burning as hot and long as possible with hardwoods.

What i dont miss is the work.  Even when buying cut/split/dry wood, its a lot of work to stack and bring in all the time. Nothing is as fun as going out at 6AM in -40 weather to get some more sticks for the fire (except maybe splitting kindling at 6 in the morning in the garage while wearing your pajamas cause the wife is cold).

We are on natural gas at our new home, and man am I thankful for it.  I do miss the wood stove however, and we have a natural gas fireplace to kind of fake us out once and a while.

Ultimately Pug, that's what I like about the pellets.  It's the heat from a wood stove without all the work of wood. 

Sounds like a win.  Are pellet stoves reliant on electricity in anyway?  One nice thing about the solid fuel is that its an "off grid" heat source if the power fails (like the ice storm outage we had here last year).

If I had a choice for a rural home again, I would prob go pellet as well.

Sounds like a win.  Are pellet stoves reliant on electricity in anyway?  One nice thing about the solid fuel is that its an "off grid" heat source if the power fails (like the ice storm outage we had here last year).

If I had a choice for a rural home again, I would prob go pellet as well.

Yes, they require electric for the auger and fan..  When we lose power from time to time, I just run a very small and quiet generator to keep it going.

TIODS - I've been thinking about putting some kind of t track system into my main assembly/utility table.  Do you have any tips on what to buy/avoid, and what accessories have been most useful to you?  And maybe the best way to lay them out positionally?  Any advice would help.

TIODS - I've been thinking about putting some kind of t track system into my main assembly/utility table.  Do you have any tips on what to buy/avoid, and what accessories have been most useful to you?  And maybe the best way to lay them out positionally?  Any advice would help.

Which ever brand you decide on, stick with that brand for everything.  Many of the manufacturers alter their track just enough so that you have to use their bolts.  I prefer the toilet bolts rather than 1/4 bolts as I find them easier to slide in the tracks. Something else to consider, some of the manufacturers predrill and countersink holes for you.  I find these quicker and easier to get installed to be up and running.  Just use the right screws. 

As for accessories, I bought a few track clamps but I mostly build my own.  I use the track at my miter station, work table, table saw sled, and my drill press table and just built blocks to slide into the tracks as I needed them.  Stop blocks, position holds, etc..

As for position to install your track, that depends on your work flow and needs.  My first table only had one track in it and I was constantly in need of another.  This table as 2.  Anything I work on close to the edge can get some quick grips.  The 2 tracks are set back to allow me to clamp down larger pieces.  Think about items you work on and where that track would come in handy.

I just noticed that you're in Custer ... not sure why I didn't see that before.  my son goes to WWU and I'm originally from Seattle, so very cool :)  Love the shop, especially the outfeed table. something about the way you have it organized appears to make a lot of sense. 

Thanks!  Most people don't know where Custer is... ;)

The shop works well for me.  Still a work in progress with some more changes planned next year.

:)  Love the shop, especially the outfeed table. something about the way you have it organized appears to make a lot of sense. 

I was wondering why you have your milling machines arranged nearest your workbench.

Can you explain your reasoning?

No disrespect. I'm not questioning your reasoning. It's just the interwebs interfering with my respectful tone.

Your shop is what many would consider a "dream shop."

Thanks,

Dave

I was wondering why you have your milling machines arranged nearest your workbench.

Can you explain your reasoning?

No disrespect. I'm not questioning your reasoning. It's just the interwebs interfering with my respectful tone.

Your shop is what many would consider a "dream shop."

Thanks,

Dave

No worries, all questions are legit.

Because I have a fairly small shop, my out feed tables is also my work bench and assembly table.  So, in essence, the machines are placed for my work flow.

Yes, I have a bench but, I'm primarily a power tool guy and don't do a lot with hand tools.  Therefor, my bench doesn't see a lot of use.