LN & LV, and reason not to mix?

estesbubba

So I'm going to get more into hand tools and wondering if people usually stick with all LN or all LV? Are there any advantages to sticking with one brand or disadvantages to having some of each? I'm learning toward LV just because I have a lot of their tools and can always throw more stuff in with a hand tool order. It seems a rabbeting block plane would be more useful than a standard block plane and only LN has one. Now LV does have a skew block plane but don't know if it can do everything (or as well) a rabbeting block plane does. I do know sharpening needs an attachment to my MKII jig. 

Sometimes you can swap blades between different planes by the same manufacturer if you want to have a variety at different angles, and I believe that the fence can be shared by multiple planes by LV, but people have enough trouble trying to quantify differences between the brands in terms of performance.  Price and aesthetic is about it. 

I have never owned a Ln plane, but have handled them at their shows and they are pieces of art. However, I tend to buy from lee valley. I have their entire entire bevel up line with three different bevel blades and a toothing glad and it's incredibly versatile I also just bought a LV 5 1/4 in the cyber Monday sale and having never touched one, they are incredibly well built and innovative for a traditional plane. However, with that being said, they both make tools depending on your preferences. If you prefer the Stanley line of planes with bevel down, LN is the best you can buy. If you have tried bevel up planes, Lv I think has the best group of versatile planes. Nothing wrong with tasting from each one! Better yet, buy one of everything from both makers. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Mix n' Match. 

They play to different strengths, too. Lie-Nielsen bench planes for me. They're tough but elegant and feel very un-fussy. Veritas is more gadgety and has interchangeable doodads and stuff. They seem to lend themselves to joinery planes. 

Just like in Portlandia when they say "put a bird on it!" Veritas says "put a fence on it!"