Candle holder... The perfect gift I was trying to figure out

Tom Cancelleri

The problem is gonna be waiting a day or 2 before reapplying. Not having an HVLP system isn't a good thing. My finishes are all usually rubbed finishes. 

If you crank the heat in your shop, you can do a coat in the morning and another coat before bed (talking Arm-R-Seal).  That piece shouldn't require more than three coats, so you're looking at just a couple days.  Or you could BLO it...but it will probably yellow that sycamore.

Which Arm R Seal would you recommend? I'm guessing Top coat? https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-base-top-coats/arm-r-seal-urethane-topcoat#.VJGfUcABg

I haven't used Arm R Seal. I've got the following stuff:

Super blonde shellac

BLO

Tung Oil

Walnut Oil

General Finishes Polycrylic Gloss

Standard Polyurethane

The shellac would be the fastest if you want a film finish, obviously.  I've decided to never use shellac again until I have HVLP...as many times as I've tried, I just can't get it to lay down consistently.  Stuff just dries TOO fast and I don't like it for wiping.

I use satin Arm-R-Seal almost exclusively.  I don't really dig the shiny, plasticy look.  But like stb said, that's just preference.

I use the semi-gloss but that's just a sheen preference, otherwise same stuff.  and I've done exactly what Eric suggests - 2 coats a day in a warm shop (abt 12 hrs to dry).  so easy to use too, if I can make it look good anyone can :)

Do you sand between coats? 600? 400? 320? wet or dry sanding between coats? I usually hit shellac with 600 between coats.

i'm the wrong person to ask about sanding between coats as I am just winging it so far.  light sanding with 320 after first coat (dry) just to remove dust nibs, 600 after 2nd coat with a little mineral spirits/mineral oil for lube, and nothing after third coat.  I haven't had a project yet where I wanted to really build up a finish so beyond that i'm probably clueless.  but for this piece 3 coats would probably do it.

I like 320 after the first coat, 600 thereafter.  Light sanding, just knocking off the nibs.  I use the 320 after the first one because it's the roughest and I find it faster.  But you could get away with 600 for all coats.

For my final coat, I like to thin the A-R-S 50/50 with mineral spirits.  It self-levels much better and prevents wiping marks.  Also it dries faster so offers less opportunity for dust to settle in the final coat.

Wet buff with a 2000-4000 grit pad after it cures.

Yep, same as Kev.  I see no reason to start with anything else unless you have a blotchy wood and you want to avoid blotch.  I don't work with pine and "blotch" in anything else is what I call character.  Cherry in particular...some people like that clean, even tone in cherry...I like the blotch.  Makes it warm and rich and more organic, IMO.  I embrace it.  You'll see what I mean very soon... :)

I'm definitely not up for playing the grain raising sanding game. I sand to 320 and call it quits on this project. I sand my pens to 600, then I move to abralon pads and go to 4000, then CA finish, then the micro mesh wet sand to 12000, then plastx scratch remover followed by a buffing wheel with blue ultra fine compound.