Finishing question from new member!

NathanFoxEllis

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could take a look at the pictures and help guide my investigation into what went wrong.

I sanded the surface to 400

Wiped with a tack cloth

Applied a coat of Watco Danish Oil

Let dry for 15hrs

Sprayed with Poly

On the first pass I started to get these white marks in the grain and I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong.

In doing my research so far it seems the problem could have come from 3 things.

Over sanding before oil

Not letting oil dry enough

Dust in the grain.

Can anyone help guide me to a more specific answer?

post-17566-0-73776900-1427325797_thumb.j

post-17566-0-61623000-1427325798_thumb.j

Don't if you're gaining anything doing Watco under oil poly. Thin the poly with mineral spirits for first coat and you'll probably get the same look with less chance of problems.

Did you wipe the Watco dry after 15 minutes and check back a couple hours later and wipe off any bleedback?

==>^^^

Try a simple experiment, sand a panel of Padauk... Use compressed air, vac and microfiber cloths, rags dipped in mineral spirits, etc until you remove all the dust you can... Now use a tack cloth... Notice how much remaining dust you collect...

In most cases, this incremental difference isn't important -- actually, it's almost never important... But if you’re working inlay, marquetry, parquetry, etc then that little extra reduces color-bleed… I learned this lesson the hard way --- I was making a chessboard and got color-bleed at the margins… I don’t use tack cloths all that often and certainly not around WB coatings… But they have their place…