Wood identification

Mackle

hey guys. My uncle gave me some boards from a tree he cut down a few months back. He claims it's Poplar but it doesn't look like it to me. Can anybody help me here? I'm posting a few photos of the boards and a piece I made from one

post-17211-0-22136100-1433356013_thumb.j

post-17211-0-17600200-1433356045_thumb.j

post-17211-0-09971200-1433356074_thumb.j

post-17211-0-02634500-1433356097_thumb.j

post-17211-0-68852900-1433356208_thumb.j

The boards look like poplar but the piece you made looks more like sycamore to me.  That tiny medullary ray fleck isn't something you see in poplar very much but I guess anything is possible.

Poplar is not a good choice for a workbench because it's so soft, but that doesn't mean you can't make a bench out of it.  Just don't expect it to last a lifetime.  BTW, all those greens and purples will turn to brown eventually.  If you like the look of poplar then you're in luck, because it's about as cheap as lumber gets aside from 2x4s from Home Depot.

could be sycamore.  the coloration is similar.  like Eric said the edge grain / quartersawn face grain of sycamore has more prominent ray fleck.  you do see some in poplar but it can be almost microscopic.   The bark doesn't look like sycamore, it has a distinct, fine, "painted on" looking bark.  That bark looks more coarse to me, but it is a small sample.  Both trees are prominent in northern ohio.   The piece you turned also reminds me of Elm.  

The piece in the last pic is almost certainly cherry and in any case it is definitely not poplar.. Is it the same as the wood in the rest of the pic? I'm dubious about that. The first pic looks exactly like poplar and the turned piece looks like sycamore (maybe)

I think what your uncle had was a poplar-cherry tree growing out of a sycamore stump.

• Like 1

Yes I meant a indoor sitting bench.I also thought I would be able to make some cutting boards or spoons.

Yes all of the photos are wood from the same tree. The lighting in my shop isn't great so the photos don't do justice to the color. When finished so would has a warm reddish brown hue to it. Everything I found online says Poplar is kind of like pine and all of the photos make it look like it too. I'm fairly certain its a hardwood. I can barely scratch it with a fingernail.

Btw this would was harvested from Northern WV if that helps

If you can barely scratch it with a fingernail I would hesitate to call it poplar.

Poplar and pine are alike only in they're both soft, otherwise they're nothing alike except they're both lighter colored woods.

BTW...hardwood and softwood have nothing to do with the hardness of the wood.  Deciduous trees are hardwoods and coniferous trees are softwoods.  Balsa is a hardwood...which is about as hard as warm butter.  And yew is a softwood but certain species of yew are harder than walnut.

Does this help?

Yes, it definitely rules out poplar. Rays are MUCH to strong for poplar. In poplar you can just barely make them out with a 10X loupe; you'll never seen them with the naked eye.

This looks like cherry but I can't see the end grain details quite well enough to be sure.

As I said before, the last pic in your first set looks exactly like cherry, but the first pic does not at all.

Can you send me a small sample for processing?

If not, then I suggest you check out the end grain pics of poplar and those of cherry on my site. You'll see right away what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this is an enigma at first glance i thought persimmon then more confident on poplar until i saw the bark which seemed oakish.  After mention of cherry I do see the heartwood vs Sapwood is cherryish and the tanning is correct maybe a birch... hybrid?