360 woodworking had a big buzz

estesbubba

I subscribe to their podcasts, which are short and focus on one topic.  They seem geared to the experienced woodworker and furniture maker rather than the average beginner woodworker.   They are very knowledgeable on their topics if the topics are germane to your area of interest. 

I purchased a year subscription in February. I am a somewhat new woodworker and much of their content is above my skill/ability. But what I can grasp has helped me immensely. One thing I will say is when I emailed a question about a project I was working on, I was surprised to receive an immediate response. Chuck Bender answered all of my questions, as we emailed back and forth numerous times. It's like having your own professional woodworker at your beckoned call. He helped me so much. One thing I was disappointed in was that Bob Lang left, but I paid my subscription because all three were involved. I know things happen and people move on, but as I said, I was disappointed. Apparently their views for the future of the venture differed in a short amount of time. But I am very happy with my subscription, but haven't decided yet whether I will subscribe again. We shall see. Jim

I'm a paid subscriber. They are very able, experienced, woodworkers with a no-nonsense, cut through the chatter approach (which I like, but others might not). They are a bit light on furniture builds compared to my expectations. I theorize (but don't know) that Lang's departure cut significantly into the volume of work that they intended to put out in their inaugural year. If they are building up to a big piece or two in the next small number of months I would be very satisfied, but without that I would probably let my subscription lapse. I guess I'm currently ambivalent - could see it going either way. But in any event I'm happy to have supported them - these guys deserve a platform.

(I think their free content is very good, e.g. their in-depth "Around the shop" podcast has very good in-depth discussions on  important but often quickly skipped over topics, e.g. cabinet backs (vertical, horizontal, nailed or screwed, beaded, ...).)

Cheers,
Brian

• 5 weeks later...

I like the idea of supporting these guys – the more resources beyond FWW and PopW the better...

I asked for a trial membership to better kick the tires and received unfettered access for a couple for days to judge content – and maybe write a favorable review... :)

Is 360 a WW clone? No... Marc is targeting newbies who benefit from a certain level of handholding -- his videos are very high quality, well thought-out, step-by-step, detailed, etc... Every step in a WW build is well documented with high production values... On the other hand, 360 assumes some level of experience and focuses more on demonstrating technique, workflow, etc – not necessarily teaching the details. 360's videos also have high production values, but not every step is documented... A 360 project may be 1hr of video, where WW would be four, six, eight hrs -- whatever it takes...

That being said, there is some beginner content on 360, but the focus is more beginner-come-intermediate... Most of the projects are beginner-level with some tending toward beginner-intermediate level... Think of 360 as a resource when you’re ready to move beyond the ubiquitous ‘Shaker Side Table’, ‘Mission Coffee Table’, ‘Router Round-up’, ‘Best Bandsaw’, 'You can do it all with [name your tool here]'  and the like... You still get ‘Shaker Sewing Table’ for the beginner, but you also get projects with more hardware, rule joints, inlay, etc... But the even the most ambitious projects remain intermediate-level (no Townsend Tall Case Clocks)...

Would a beginner benefit from 360? That’s a tough question... The project articles do include beginner content to get the starting craftsman up to speed (ex. excavate bastard stock from flat-sawn sticks for table legs), but tend to finish more in the intermediate camp (ex. inlay escutcheons)... There are basic technique articles on cutting miters, marking & layout, hand tool use, shooting boards, etc... These are geared for the beginner, but not necessarily the abject newbie... I think the totally new woodworker would benefit more from other resources (like FWW’s Start Woodworking series) until they complete a project or three... http://www.startwoodworking.com/

Would the solid Intermediate-hobbyist benefit from 360? That's also a tough call... Most of the content will be excess to requirements, but some of the project articles are in the intermediate zone. If you're a solid intermediate-level hobbyist (already completed a couple of period pieces, familiar with hardware, done a bit of inlay/banding, typically use HHG/LHG, etc, etc), then I'd suggest you contact the guys for a trial membership before spending your $$.

The issues are semi-monthly with around eight articles per issue.

360 is having a subscription sale this week...

Edited by hhh
  • Like 2