Hello from San Marcos, CA

Robby W

I heard about this site from the WoodTalk podcast and finally got some time to investigate. Glad I did!

I have been woodworking since I was a wee tot, and got into it seriously when I bought issue #6 of Fine Woodworking while on a trip in Colorado. I bought every copy I could find of the first issues and have been a reader every since. My father and grandfather were both contractors, building and repairing fine homes, so I was introduced to the basics early, but from a carpenter's side of things. FWW opened up a new world of joinery and design and I have had a lot of fun with it since.

As I approach retirement, I am thinking about doing small customer woodworking jobs and making boxes, pens and such for sale to raise mad money for my vices. I have a pretty decent shop with most of the major tools that I want, but I want to upgrade my table saw for to a SawStop for safety. I have found that as I get older, I make more mistakes, so I am thinking about that saw as a precaution.

One of the turning points in my woodworking career was when I purchased a Biesemeyer fence and Accumiter miter gauge for my Rockwell Contractors table saw, dumped the fence that came with it and tuned it up carefully. It eliminated most of the errors that frustrated me when I started out. The second epiphany occurred when I switched from oil stones to water stones (Hey - I started back when water stones were the new thing!), and learned how to get a really sharp blade. Now if I could just force myself to do it more regularly. 

I am starting to outgrow my current shop layout and will be reorganizing it soon. I will probably have to thin some tools too, even though the thought of it makes me cringe....

Thanks for reading and I look forward to participating when possible in the future.

Robby Wright

San Marcos, California

Welcome Robby. Camp Pen just north of you is my old stomping grounds.  If you ever feel like a day trip, I can send you the info to an awesome sawyer who runs a mill and kiln up in tamecula north of fallbrook. Good day trip but hold onto your wallet. 

Also, camp Pendleton has a wood working club in their awesome wood shop on base that is open to civilians. May be worth it to check out to meet more local guys.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

......... If you ever feel like a day trip, I can send you the info to an awesome sawyer who runs a mill and kiln up in tamecula north of fallbrook. Good day trip but hold onto your wallet. 

Also, camp Pendleton has a wood working club in their awesome wood shop on base that is open to civilians. May be worth it to check out to meet more local guys.

Good to know! I have been thinking about making a dining room table from some slab wood and the pickings locally for that type of wood is kind of slim. When I have some money saved up, i'll get in touch.

I am a member of San Diego Fine Woodworking Association. Even went to some of their classes recently. I'll have to check out the Pendleton club.