Gramercy Bow Saw

sjk

One of the gifts I made for Christmas this year was a bow saw for a fellow woodworker in the family.  I grabbed the kit and plans from Gramercy Tools.  I selected a piece of 8/4 straight grained hickory for the body and a stick of cocobolo for the handles.IMG_0207.JPG.d8b68e7ee4a30b76a89f0ce16f8

First up was epoxying the brass pins into the blanks for the handles.

IMG_0208.JPG.6134a226d1601a43c694073a697

After letting them dry overnight, I turned the handles.  The brass was soft, so I had to be very cautious as I turned to minimize flexing.

IMG_0209.JPG.d77c2d6f79fcff45a693c5b3657

I rough cut the hickory and got the first glimpse of the saw-to-be.

IMG_0210.JPG.57ef62cfaac452122f638d8d9e7

Then I traced the template on the arms and drilled the through hole for the handles...

IMG_0211.JPG.e6a990f79da2c8d43277e1fca49

...and chiseled out the shallow mortises for the cross piece.

IMG_0212.JPG.d824408ff510ebee8f3e5b2ad33

Then it was off to the band saw to cut the arms to rough shape.

IMG_0213.JPG.eb5c4518f257c105a57a14750f3

Another sneak preview:IMG_0214.JPG.e418ac3cfc04464cba41ce639c4

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Wow, that's a nice saw! I bet the recipient was pleased. Was the tensioning line part of the kit?

No - the tensioning line is sold separately.  I had originally ordered the red, but when it arrived it was distinctly pink.  I contacted support and they let me swap it for the blue.

6 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

Very cool! Those cocobolo handles are really nice. I watched Paul Sellers make one of these and noticed Gramercy had a kit. Curious to know how the bow saw compares to back/panel saws.

I'll ask the recipient how he likes it once he's done a project :)

The kit I ordered for myself arrived, so I'll probably build mine this weekend and then I can give you a first hand response.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sjk said:

It works really well.  Feels good in my hands, tensions nicely, and the blades track well.  I definitely recommend making one :)

Me seeing this thread came at an ironic time ... I was looking at those bow saws thinking it might be a nice way to add to my hand tool collection.  I'm just undecided on a good "standard" coping saw, or or one of these that definitely has pimp factor.  Or I wonder if I am looking at it incorrectly ... is a 12" "turning saw" in the same class as a coping saw?

8 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I missed this journal! Very nice sjk! That is one sweet gift. Wish I had a woodworker in my family that was giving out awesome cocobolo handles bowsaws!!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Are you going to be a good boy all year or are you going to wind up on Santa's Naughty List this year?

8 hours ago, Lee Bussy said:

Me seeing this thread came at an ironic time ... I was looking at those bow saws thinking it might be a nice way to add to my hand tool collection.  I'm just undecided on a good "standard" coping saw, or or one of these that definitely has pimp factor.  Or I wonder if I am looking at it incorrectly ... is a 12" "turning saw" in the same class as a coping saw?

I'm not an expert, but IMHO it'll do many of the same tasks and a few more.  The bigger size lets you tackle bigger projects, but might keep you from getting into smaller places.

Grammarcy's approach to the blade/pin attachment makes it super easy to change blades (or thread the blade through a hole).  They pinned the ends of the blade, essentially making it a giant coping saw blade.

(@K Cooper - IMHO = In My Humble Opinion)

I missed this journal! Very nice sjk! That is one sweet gift. Wish I had a woodworker in my family that was giving out awesome cocobolo handles bowsaws!!!

Are you going to be a good boy all year or are you going to wind up on Santa's Naughty List this year?

I'm not an expert, but IMHO it'll do many of the same tasks and a few more.  The bigger size lets you tackle bigger projects, but might keep you from getting into smaller places.

Grammarcy's approach to the blade/pin attachment makes it super easy to change blades (or thread the blade through a hole).  They pinned the ends of the blade, essentially making it a giant coping saw blade.

(@K Cooper - IMHO = In My Humble Opinion)

Im never on the naughty list !

I've been wanting to build one of these, I have a question about wood selection. 

I have a stick of 3/4 x 1-1/2" flame birch that I was thinking would make a nice looking saw.  Do you think that would be strong enough, or should I hold onto it for another project and get something more straight grained?