Small plunge router

Ronn W

I am getting tired of mounting and unmounting my one and only router from the table.  I need a smaller router that I can use for mortises and for precise inlay work.  I would like a plunge router and has a built in light, hook up for dust collection to my shop vac, a base that accepts a bushing insert and good visibility for the precise work.  Is there a unit out there that has all this?  What do you guys recommend?

6 minutes ago, Cliff said:

611 is on my list as well. those lights make it worth the extra cost. I think the plunge base is extra though, right? 

The 611PK I have came bundled with both bases, plunge and fixed.

What you need to buy extra is the round sub base and centering cone if you want to use it with PC bushings. The round base is only compatible with the fixed base though.

• Like 1

I have a 611 as well and I agree it's a nice little unit, but OP said he wanted a router for "inlay and mortising" and I wouldn't recommend this router for mortising.  It only takes 1/4" shanks which is a deal breaker immediately, and it's too underpowered for serious joinery work.  I'd suggest buying a full-size plunge unit and then get something like the 611 down the road for more specialty tasks if you still feel like you're lacking.  The 611 is not an everyday driver workhorse.

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

I have a 611 as well and I agree it's a nice little unit, but OP said he wanted a router for "inlay and mortising" and I wouldn't recommend this router for mortising.  It only takes 1/4" shanks which is a deal breaker immediately, and it's too underpowered for serious joinery work.  I'd suggest buying a full-size plunge unit and then get something like the 611 down the road for more specialty tasks if you still feel like you're lacking.  The 611 is not an everyday driver workhorse.

I assume he means small mortises, like for hinges or other hardware.  I wouldn't expect to do full size joinery and precise inlays with the same router.   

OP - can you be more specific?  Thanks.  

You guys have answered my questions nicely.  It's too bad that good visibility and a good duct port seam to be mutually exclusive.  My monster Triton router has both and works well but  does have lights.  I was planning to leave the Triton mounted in my table and by something like the 611 but maybe I should by a new router for my table and use the heavy but stable Triton for my freehand, and mortises, etc.  Wow,  This thread could go all kinds of different direction - like: Does any one know where to get a base for a Triton router that allows me to use bushings?  Has anyone found a small led light that could be velcroed to the side of a router and pointed at the cutting area?

Any way - thank you all for your input.

I also have a Makita RP2301FC, which can be used for everything, including deep mortising. Some key features that may interest you:

* Dual LED lights

* Dust collection adapter (optional)

* Excellent visibility for precise routing with the included chip deflector

* Accepts PC bushings right out of the box, using the standard adapter that comes bundled with all bushing sets.

* Plenty of power at 3 1/4 HP

* 1/2" collet. 1/4" collet adapter comes standard with the router.